Parenting: Just Hang On
Halloween makes me think of kids. That makes me think of mothering. That makes me think of my kids. I always said I wouldn't teach on mothering until after I mothered. Like the rabbi's say, "We learn with our feet." If I had to give one piece of advice to young mothers it would be:
Just be faithful.
It's the one thing you are responsible to God for ... loving God and loving your child like God loves.
As much as you try you can't control the outcome of your child's life
Most of what you think it crucial today won't be later
You are not who your child is or will become
Your one job is to be faithful
My son Hampton is like Dennis the Menace on caffeine. He was naughty. When he was a teenager people would say, "Oh, it's a stage." No it wasn't. He was like this at four! He was HARD to raise, way beyond "how to raise a strong willed child." It was through an image the Lord spoke. I was riding a wild horse. And the Lord said to me, "Just stay on. It doesn't matter how you look, whether your hair is a mess or your pants are ripped. It doesn't matter if you are barely hanging on, riding sideways or even under the horse. Your job is simply to stay on."
I wanted to bargain with God. "If I stay on will you bring him through?" Meaning will he stop doing what he's doing and life will go well? Jesus responded with a question, "What if he doesn't straighten up and life is this way all the way?"
That's when I realized he wasn't giving me a guarantee. He didn't even seem all that concerned about the outcome. What he wanted to know was whether or not I would be faithful in parenting Hampton no matter what. Even if he ended up doing drugs and living on the streets the rest of his life.
That's hard to hear.
But it was there and then I put a stake in the ground. I had been released from the outcome. My job was to be faithful. To stay on the horse.
I told Hampton what Jesus had said. All of it.
Hampton called this morning on his way to his college class. He had great excitement in his voice. Why? Because his roommate received 14 pounds of candy for them to hand out to kids in their neighborhood.
And me? I'm still on the horse. The ride is smoother these days.
Jesus said our faith is precious to him. In fact 1 Peter 1 seems to indicate Jesus is going to praise us for it. I know, almost sounds sacrilegious. But it's in there.
So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. (1 Peter 1:6-7 NLT)
Photo cc by Bob from Caledon on Flickr.
- Holli Long published the blogpost A Guest Post for Grace for Moms – On Grief and Gratitude.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost Liebster Award! – Thank You, Writing in a Raindrop!.
- Troy EdwardsOur Easter message from last Sunday can be viewed here:
- Troy Edwards uploaded a photo
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Walking with the Enemy’ Treads in the Right Direction.
- Clarence FellIngratitude
Have you heard the story of the man that got himself in trouble with the law? His wife set her life aside and gave all her attention to helping her husband get out of his legal troubles. However, as the wheels of justice slowly turned, he found himself still in jail after many weeks. He exhausted every avenue of help that he could pursue from within the jail, there was nothing left to do but hope his wife would not give up. Fortunately, his wife focused even more, sacrificed more, and gave all she had until finally she secured his release. He was delighted, they celebrated his freedom, and his joy was unspeakable. However, soon his attention began to wander to another woman and it was not long before he left his wife for another woman.
Most of us would not give two cents for a man that would accept such generous sacrifice from his wife and then abandon her. However, many people treat God that way and then expect an enthusiastic welcome home into heaven. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
- Troy Edwards created a new gallery
- Troy Edwards just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost An Ohio Egg Adventure + 10 Tips for Making Great Eggs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor couple’s HGTV series, ‘Fixer Upper, begins tonight.
- Blake Atwood shared What is a Church Website Strategy?: Does your church have a website strategy? "When people talk about website strategy, the conversation dips into many interesting areas. The problem is that the word strategy means something different to different people. Thus, to have an effective website strategy, you need to define what strategy is. In this article I offer you a framework to define various levels of guidance." Read more from Stephen Morrissey.
- George BullardApril 24th Transform Congregations By Affirming Long Pastorates #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-24th-transform-congregations-by-affirming-long-pastorates-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 23rd Transform Congregations By Remembering But Not Repeating History #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-23rd-transform-congregations-by-remembering-but-not-repeating-history-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 22nd Transform Congregations By Climbing Out of Ruts #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-22nd-transform-congregations-by-climbing-out-of-ruts-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 21st Transform Congregations By Focusing on the Spiritual Transformation on People #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-21st-transform-congregations-by-focusing-on-the-spiritual-transformation-on-people-365ssiftc.html
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Getting chased by the Devil...don't worry: I'm running faster.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost U: Perceptible Unity – The Mark of Great Art…and Great Lives.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Was Jesus A Man That The Early Church Turned Into A God?.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Prayer on the Wind: Day 24 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- adekunle ojobaro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Pascal on how to measure our efforts [Quote].
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.