Parenting: Just Hang On
Halloween makes me think of kids. That makes me think of mothering. That makes me think of my kids. I always said I wouldn't teach on mothering until after I mothered. Like the rabbi's say, "We learn with our feet." If I had to give one piece of advice to young mothers it would be:
Just be faithful.
It's the one thing you are responsible to God for ... loving God and loving your child like God loves.
As much as you try you can't control the outcome of your child's life
Most of what you think it crucial today won't be later
You are not who your child is or will become
Your one job is to be faithful
My son Hampton is like Dennis the Menace on caffeine. He was naughty. When he was a teenager people would say, "Oh, it's a stage." No it wasn't. He was like this at four! He was HARD to raise, way beyond "how to raise a strong willed child." It was through an image the Lord spoke. I was riding a wild horse. And the Lord said to me, "Just stay on. It doesn't matter how you look, whether your hair is a mess or your pants are ripped. It doesn't matter if you are barely hanging on, riding sideways or even under the horse. Your job is simply to stay on."
I wanted to bargain with God. "If I stay on will you bring him through?" Meaning will he stop doing what he's doing and life will go well? Jesus responded with a question, "What if he doesn't straighten up and life is this way all the way?"
That's when I realized he wasn't giving me a guarantee. He didn't even seem all that concerned about the outcome. What he wanted to know was whether or not I would be faithful in parenting Hampton no matter what. Even if he ended up doing drugs and living on the streets the rest of his life.
That's hard to hear.
But it was there and then I put a stake in the ground. I had been released from the outcome. My job was to be faithful. To stay on the horse.
I told Hampton what Jesus had said. All of it.
Hampton called this morning on his way to his college class. He had great excitement in his voice. Why? Because his roommate received 14 pounds of candy for them to hand out to kids in their neighborhood.
And me? I'm still on the horse. The ride is smoother these days.
Jesus said our faith is precious to him. In fact 1 Peter 1 seems to indicate Jesus is going to praise us for it. I know, almost sounds sacrilegious. But it's in there.
So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. (1 Peter 1:6-7 NLT)
Photo cc by Bob from Caledon on Flickr.
- Sheridan Voysey published the blogpost Don’t Just Apologise, Make Amends (My BBC Radio 2 Spot).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost [Studies] How to Handle Cursing In The Workplace – Julia Winston.
- C Drury just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Amber Soares created a new gallery
- Amber Soares just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: an explanation from the crazy crying lady at the park.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: when the hands and feet of God stink and hurt, respectively.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: "christian" - better as a noun, not an adjective.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….