Using Our Gifts, and Helping Others Use Theirs
While serving as a youth pastor in New Jersey, I was incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by a phenomenal group of volunteers. The teams that I was entrusted to lead were made up of some incredibly gifted people who loved our students and our children and invested a great deal of time and prayer in each of them.
One of the parents of our students had a phenomenal gift that she would share with us whenever she had the opportunity: the gift of hospitality. If our ministries needed a place to host an event, whether it be a Super Bowl party, summer bar-b-que, or random Friday night get together, her home was available and there was enough food to feed an army.
I wish that my words could adequately describe just how impressive her skills at making people feel welcomed in her home are. Whether it was sixty middle and high school students, or a handful of college kids, everyone left her home well fed, cared for, and ready to take on the world. The amazing thing to me was that whenever I would try to thank, compliment, or celebrate what she did . . . she would try and downplay her gifts as insignificant. She was convinced that there was nothing special about how she was serving our ministry.
We all have gifts, skills, and abilities. When it comes to our own gifts, we tend to believe that our gifts are nothing special. What’s more, the people that sit in our congregation week in and week out feel the same way. As church leaders, one of the greatest parts of our job is helping people realize just how significant their contribution to the body really is. Freeing your congregation up to serve in the way that they are uniquely gifted and created to do is the greatest gift that you can give to those you are entrusted with leading.
How are YOU freeing your congregation to use their gifts?
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….
- Abigail Scott just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Proxy Measures for Leadership Decisions – Glenn Brooke.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 47: Carlos Whittaker, Musician, & Author of Moment Maker.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost What A Real Life Skydiving Accident Teaches Church Leaders.
- Kendall Lyons published the blogpost “Kid Eccentric” Comics: “Intelligence Breaches for Kids”.
- Jon StallingsMy message from Sunday on “The Holy Spirit Gift of Discerning of Spirits” is now online http://www.lifechurchconyers.org/sermons/the-holy-spirit-gift-of-discerning-of-spirits/
- Tessa Donovan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the article An Interview with Sam Hodges About the New Griefshare.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Picking the Right Worship Songs for Your Student Ministry.
- Jed Davis published the blogpost Customer Experience & Church, Why These Two Should Marry.