We Are One Church, Not One Church, Two Generations
I have been intrigued by conversations amongst a few younger believers and pastors as of late. While they are begging those of age to connect with and mentor them, they question the older generation’s missional heart and seem to sincerely believe that the prior generation isn’t nearly as passionate as they are about introducing the Gospel to the world. And they say it . . . out loud . . . in the presence of everyone.
This puts the generation of age in a very awkward position. Their motives and methods have been questioned which leads to some messy mentalities. The request is, “Give your time, experience, and money to me and the church I lead.” The attitude that is portrayed is, “I don’t respect your heart, motives, or practices.” Something to keep in mind . . . When you create an “us versus them” perspective, you’re probably not going to get much from “them.”
Isn’t it time for all of us to understand that we are one in Christ? We are the body of Christ, every one of us. Jesus anticipated a certain synergy would take place as all of God’s church was seen as equals engaged in carrying the Gospel to the world. That those of age bring wisdom and experience to the plate and that those of a younger generation bring passion, new mindsets, and a cultural awareness to the conversation (By the way, there are many younger adults who are full of wisdom and who have more experience than the older generation wants to admit and there are many older adults who house deep passion, forward-thinking mindsets, and who are able to not only understand and flourish in the present culture, but also, due to their age, can compare cultures). When we get together something amazing happens. When we build obstacles that must be overcome we cannot experience that synergy.
Some say that the prior generation only had in mind achieving the American Dream and that the younger generation is all about giving up all to go wherever needed to share Christ with the world. We are not stereotypes. There are a massive number of older pastors and parishioners who have sacrificed all, who didn’t chase the American dream, who suffered for the cause and the Gospel. And there are many younger pastors and parishioners who are chasing the American dream, who would never even think about giving up their beautiful home or hundred dollar designer jeans. And, like some of the pastors from a prior generation, they are looking for the next opportunity to make more money and make a name for themselves.
Both generations have their faults, both generations have their limitations, both generations have much to offer.
We are not two generations. We are one church.
Rick Howerton believes the world will know the gospel when there is “a biblical small group within walking distance of every person on the planet.” He lives to see this goal accomplished. Follow him on Twitter @RickHowerton.
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.