Coconut Curry Popcorn [Recipe]
Some things you just can’t un-learn once you know them; like when you really master using chopsticks, or when you saw the images of McDonalds’ pink goop chicken McNugget batter … you can’t revert back to not knowing those things. Popping popcorn stove-top style is one of those for me. I can’t go back to the bag in the microwave. In fact, we trashed our entire microwave when we moved into to our home. Now, there’s a stack of cookbooks and a couple cake stands attempting to fill the void and cover up the holes in the wall where the microwave used to be.
Microwavable popcorn bags are coated with chemicals to make them “grease proof” even though these chemicals have been linked to various cancers and reproductive system damage. The popcorn itself most likely comes from genetically engineered corn, and is sizzling in hydrogenated oils and artificial flavors that give the product shelf-life and fake flavor. Our bodies don’t know what to do with this junk, so it creates inflammation to protect itself … inflammation is the cause of aging and most disease.
It’s just as quick to make your own freshly popped corn, flavor it how you like, and feel good about your snack. It tastes much better anyways.
Coconut Curry Popcorn
(Yields 5 cups popped corn)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. corn kernels
(I make batches of this to keep on hand for flavoring stir-fries & soups as well.)
- 1 part turmeric
- 1 part cumin
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part ground coriander
- 2 parts curry powder
- small pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Place coconut oil in deep sauce pot on medium-high heat. Place one kernel of corn in pot – once it pops, add remaining 3 tablespoons of corn and cover.
- Once all corn pops, or until popping slows to 3-4 seconds between pops, remove from stove and immediately pour popped corn in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with one heaping teaspoon of the spice mix and salt to taste.
- Mix well and enjoy!
Find more content like this in the Cafe on the Square.
- Andrew MasonUncommon Gratitude http://andrewsmason.com/uncommon-gratitude/ #HappyThanksgiving
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.