Coconut Curry Popcorn [Recipe]
Some things you just can’t un-learn once you know them; like when you really master using chopsticks, or when you saw the images of McDonalds’ pink goop chicken McNugget batter … you can’t revert back to not knowing those things. Popping popcorn stove-top style is one of those for me. I can’t go back to the bag in the microwave. In fact, we trashed our entire microwave when we moved into to our home. Now, there’s a stack of cookbooks and a couple cake stands attempting to fill the void and cover up the holes in the wall where the microwave used to be.
Microwavable popcorn bags are coated with chemicals to make them “grease proof” even though these chemicals have been linked to various cancers and reproductive system damage. The popcorn itself most likely comes from genetically engineered corn, and is sizzling in hydrogenated oils and artificial flavors that give the product shelf-life and fake flavor. Our bodies don’t know what to do with this junk, so it creates inflammation to protect itself … inflammation is the cause of aging and most disease.
It’s just as quick to make your own freshly popped corn, flavor it how you like, and feel good about your snack. It tastes much better anyways.
Coconut Curry Popcorn
(Yields 5 cups popped corn)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. corn kernels
(I make batches of this to keep on hand for flavoring stir-fries & soups as well.)
- 1 part turmeric
- 1 part cumin
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part ground coriander
- 2 parts curry powder
- small pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Place coconut oil in deep sauce pot on medium-high heat. Place one kernel of corn in pot – once it pops, add remaining 3 tablespoons of corn and cover.
- Once all corn pops, or until popping slows to 3-4 seconds between pops, remove from stove and immediately pour popped corn in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with one heaping teaspoon of the spice mix and salt to taste.
- Mix well and enjoy!
Find more content like this in the Cafe on the Square.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Does New ‘Fight Church’ Documentary Hit Below the Belt?.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Busyness and Productivity Set on Sale at WTS Books – Today Only.
- Brad Russell published the article Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor study brings national attention to potential for cell phone addiction.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Is your child safety seat installed correctly? [video].
- Matt Reed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Leaving Liberty by Virginia Carmichael.
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Leaders – How well are you getting people grounded in the faith?.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Friday Soul Food: Jen Michel’s Teach Us to Want and the Conversion of Our Desires.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 85% Of Millennials In The US (18-24) Own Smartphones.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Attack, Hospitalize Innocent Man For Doing Good.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Getting High A Little Less Often; No One Knows Why.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Quit People Pleasing – Balance Around the Blogosphere & Linkup.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Chip Doolittle just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- solomon david published the blogpost 5 Most Tempting Reasons to Use PHP For Your Next Project.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Do You Know What Is The Most Popular Book Of All Time?.
- solomon david published the blogpost A New Nokia Lumia 830, an Affordable Device, Announced by Microsoft.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost How a mustard seed can encourage you to look ahead. [Video].
- Jeff Randleman published the blogpost Coffee Naps are better than coffee…, and naps! [Link].
- Walter Bright published the blogpost That I may discover God’s highest and best usage for my life.
- Catherine Larson published the blogpost Lean into Grace in 2014: Change the Way We Think About Change.
- Catherine Larson published the blogpost A Valentine’s Gift for Him: 14 Ways to Pray for Your Husband this Valentine’s Day.
- Catherine Larson published the blogpost Mom Fail: Turning Our Worst Moments into Teachable Ones.
- solomon david published the blogpost Floweretshop – A Perfect Magento Responsive Theme for online flower shops.
- solomon david published the blogpost 10 Remarkable WordPress Portfolio Plugins That Show Your Work Impressively.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost How to Leverage Big Data for Big Time Social Media Success – Reade Milner.