Coconut Curry Popcorn [Recipe]
Some things you just can’t un-learn once you know them; like when you really master using chopsticks, or when you saw the images of McDonalds’ pink goop chicken McNugget batter … you can’t revert back to not knowing those things. Popping popcorn stove-top style is one of those for me. I can’t go back to the bag in the microwave. In fact, we trashed our entire microwave when we moved into to our home. Now, there’s a stack of cookbooks and a couple cake stands attempting to fill the void and cover up the holes in the wall where the microwave used to be.
Microwavable popcorn bags are coated with chemicals to make them “grease proof” even though these chemicals have been linked to various cancers and reproductive system damage. The popcorn itself most likely comes from genetically engineered corn, and is sizzling in hydrogenated oils and artificial flavors that give the product shelf-life and fake flavor. Our bodies don’t know what to do with this junk, so it creates inflammation to protect itself … inflammation is the cause of aging and most disease.
It’s just as quick to make your own freshly popped corn, flavor it how you like, and feel good about your snack. It tastes much better anyways.
Coconut Curry Popcorn
(Yields 5 cups popped corn)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. corn kernels
(I make batches of this to keep on hand for flavoring stir-fries & soups as well.)
- 1 part turmeric
- 1 part cumin
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part ground coriander
- 2 parts curry powder
- small pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Place coconut oil in deep sauce pot on medium-high heat. Place one kernel of corn in pot – once it pops, add remaining 3 tablespoons of corn and cover.
- Once all corn pops, or until popping slows to 3-4 seconds between pops, remove from stove and immediately pour popped corn in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with one heaping teaspoon of the spice mix and salt to taste.
- Mix well and enjoy!
Find more content like this in the Cafe on the Square.
- solomon david published the blogpost Top Free, Paid & Most Popular Windows Phone Apps & Games.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Give Your Baby a Fresh Start with the Purex & One Step Ahead Giveaway.
- Shaylene Fox just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 3 Powerful Responses When Pressured, Pushed, and Put on the Spot.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Quick & Easy Ideas to Make the Most Out of Halloween.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Fighting a Culture Obsessed with the Pursuit of More.