3 Benefits of Praying with Your Wife
It’s kind of sad how little I pray. Especially with my wife and kids. You’d think after growing up in a Christian home, serving in Sunday School, leading bible studies and working part-time at a church that I’d be a black belt prayer warrior.
No such luck.
While I haven’t been the best at praying regularly with LK, we recently started praying together after the kids go to bed. We’re hoping to establish this new habit over the next few weeks.
So far I’ve noticed a few key benefits that you’ll be interested in too.
An adult life isn’t very hunky dory. It’s messy, hectic and packed with responsibilities no one warned you about. Between work, family and project stress you can go bald. By the time the kids are finally in bed, we barely have time to come up for air before we need to get some sleep and start the crazy train all over again. As LK and I have stopped to pray together once the kiddos are tucked in, we have experienced a sense of peace over the rest of our evening together. Tension and frustrations that have built up throughout the day melt away and we feel refreshed.
We are in this adventure together until the bitter end (sidebar: why does the “end” have to be bitter anyway?). The foundation of any relationship is trust. While there is (or should be) a baseline of trust going into marriage, as we celebrate each anniversary that trust should continue to strengthen (sort of like how concrete cures over time). When we talk to God together, our trust in Him is deepened as a couple, and we feel more free to be vulnerable with each other.
One of the awesome things about marriage is having a fan for life. It’s you two (and God) versus the world. Sort of like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, standing back to back and lighting up the enemy with a hail of gunfire (incidentally that was the first movie we saw on a date). As LK and I pray together, opening our hearts and sharing our hopes before Him, we gain insight into each other’s dreams and passions. We know ourselves and one another better and can support the dreams we share.
It’s really easy to get caught up in the routine of parenthood and adult responsibilities and miss each other like ships passing in the night. Stopping to intentionally pray with and for your wife can help reignite (or continue to fuel) the fire of your marriage. Prayer provides a great opportunity to bond spiritually and see your wife as a daughter of God who needs your trust and support.
Questions: How often do you pray with your wife? If you’re single do you pray for your future wife?
Photo cc by Melvin_Es on Flickr.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: an explanation from the crazy crying lady at the park.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: when the hands and feet of God stink and hurt, respectively.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: "christian" - better as a noun, not an adjective.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….