3 Benefits of Praying with Your Wife
It’s kind of sad how little I pray. Especially with my wife and kids. You’d think after growing up in a Christian home, serving in Sunday School, leading bible studies and working part-time at a church that I’d be a black belt prayer warrior.
No such luck.
While I haven’t been the best at praying regularly with LK, we recently started praying together after the kids go to bed. We’re hoping to establish this new habit over the next few weeks.
So far I’ve noticed a few key benefits that you’ll be interested in too.
An adult life isn’t very hunky dory. It’s messy, hectic and packed with responsibilities no one warned you about. Between work, family and project stress you can go bald. By the time the kids are finally in bed, we barely have time to come up for air before we need to get some sleep and start the crazy train all over again. As LK and I have stopped to pray together once the kiddos are tucked in, we have experienced a sense of peace over the rest of our evening together. Tension and frustrations that have built up throughout the day melt away and we feel refreshed.
We are in this adventure together until the bitter end (sidebar: why does the “end” have to be bitter anyway?). The foundation of any relationship is trust. While there is (or should be) a baseline of trust going into marriage, as we celebrate each anniversary that trust should continue to strengthen (sort of like how concrete cures over time). When we talk to God together, our trust in Him is deepened as a couple, and we feel more free to be vulnerable with each other.
One of the awesome things about marriage is having a fan for life. It’s you two (and God) versus the world. Sort of like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, standing back to back and lighting up the enemy with a hail of gunfire (incidentally that was the first movie we saw on a date). As LK and I pray together, opening our hearts and sharing our hopes before Him, we gain insight into each other’s dreams and passions. We know ourselves and one another better and can support the dreams we share.
It’s really easy to get caught up in the routine of parenthood and adult responsibilities and miss each other like ships passing in the night. Stopping to intentionally pray with and for your wife can help reignite (or continue to fuel) the fire of your marriage. Prayer provides a great opportunity to bond spiritually and see your wife as a daughter of God who needs your trust and support.
Questions: How often do you pray with your wife? If you’re single do you pray for your future wife?
Photo cc by Melvin_Es on Flickr.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.