3 Benefits of Praying with Your Wife
It’s kind of sad how little I pray. Especially with my wife and kids. You’d think after growing up in a Christian home, serving in Sunday School, leading bible studies and working part-time at a church that I’d be a black belt prayer warrior.
No such luck.
While I haven’t been the best at praying regularly with LK, we recently started praying together after the kids go to bed. We’re hoping to establish this new habit over the next few weeks.
So far I’ve noticed a few key benefits that you’ll be interested in too.
An adult life isn’t very hunky dory. It’s messy, hectic and packed with responsibilities no one warned you about. Between work, family and project stress you can go bald. By the time the kids are finally in bed, we barely have time to come up for air before we need to get some sleep and start the crazy train all over again. As LK and I have stopped to pray together once the kiddos are tucked in, we have experienced a sense of peace over the rest of our evening together. Tension and frustrations that have built up throughout the day melt away and we feel refreshed.
We are in this adventure together until the bitter end (sidebar: why does the “end” have to be bitter anyway?). The foundation of any relationship is trust. While there is (or should be) a baseline of trust going into marriage, as we celebrate each anniversary that trust should continue to strengthen (sort of like how concrete cures over time). When we talk to God together, our trust in Him is deepened as a couple, and we feel more free to be vulnerable with each other.
One of the awesome things about marriage is having a fan for life. It’s you two (and God) versus the world. Sort of like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, standing back to back and lighting up the enemy with a hail of gunfire (incidentally that was the first movie we saw on a date). As LK and I pray together, opening our hearts and sharing our hopes before Him, we gain insight into each other’s dreams and passions. We know ourselves and one another better and can support the dreams we share.
It’s really easy to get caught up in the routine of parenthood and adult responsibilities and miss each other like ships passing in the night. Stopping to intentionally pray with and for your wife can help reignite (or continue to fuel) the fire of your marriage. Prayer provides a great opportunity to bond spiritually and see your wife as a daughter of God who needs your trust and support.
Questions: How often do you pray with your wife? If you’re single do you pray for your future wife?
Photo cc by Melvin_Es on Flickr.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Should You Keep Teaching After You Start a Family?.
- Felicia Crawford just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Sheridan Voysey published the blogpost Don’t Just Apologise, Make Amends (My BBC Radio 2 Spot).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost [Studies] How to Handle Cursing In The Workplace – Julia Winston.
- C Drury just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Amber Soares created a new gallery
- Amber Soares just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.