3 Benefits of Praying with Your Wife
It’s kind of sad how little I pray. Especially with my wife and kids. You’d think after growing up in a Christian home, serving in Sunday School, leading bible studies and working part-time at a church that I’d be a black belt prayer warrior.
No such luck.
While I haven’t been the best at praying regularly with LK, we recently started praying together after the kids go to bed. We’re hoping to establish this new habit over the next few weeks.
So far I’ve noticed a few key benefits that you’ll be interested in too.
An adult life isn’t very hunky dory. It’s messy, hectic and packed with responsibilities no one warned you about. Between work, family and project stress you can go bald. By the time the kids are finally in bed, we barely have time to come up for air before we need to get some sleep and start the crazy train all over again. As LK and I have stopped to pray together once the kiddos are tucked in, we have experienced a sense of peace over the rest of our evening together. Tension and frustrations that have built up throughout the day melt away and we feel refreshed.
We are in this adventure together until the bitter end (sidebar: why does the “end” have to be bitter anyway?). The foundation of any relationship is trust. While there is (or should be) a baseline of trust going into marriage, as we celebrate each anniversary that trust should continue to strengthen (sort of like how concrete cures over time). When we talk to God together, our trust in Him is deepened as a couple, and we feel more free to be vulnerable with each other.
One of the awesome things about marriage is having a fan for life. It’s you two (and God) versus the world. Sort of like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, standing back to back and lighting up the enemy with a hail of gunfire (incidentally that was the first movie we saw on a date). As LK and I pray together, opening our hearts and sharing our hopes before Him, we gain insight into each other’s dreams and passions. We know ourselves and one another better and can support the dreams we share.
It’s really easy to get caught up in the routine of parenthood and adult responsibilities and miss each other like ships passing in the night. Stopping to intentionally pray with and for your wife can help reignite (or continue to fuel) the fire of your marriage. Prayer provides a great opportunity to bond spiritually and see your wife as a daughter of God who needs your trust and support.
Questions: How often do you pray with your wife? If you’re single do you pray for your future wife?
Photo cc by Melvin_Es on Flickr.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.