Abide to Witness
How can we see and develop the characteristics of believers as seen in the book of Philippians? As Paul was suffering in prison, we see in him some of these characteristics which are the fruit of abiding in Jesus Christ.
Believers today can know and be encouraged that no matter what happens to them, they have a choice as to what happens in them. When we respond to our circumstances (rather than react), a powerful witness (fruit) for Christ is seen and heard. We are to abide in Christ and, like Paul, the fruit of the Holy Spirit will be seen in what we say, write and do regardless of our circumstances.
Paul opens his letter with thanksgiving to God for the prayers and support of the Philippian Christians. He prays a far-reaching prayer for them that we also can pray for others (Philippians 1:9-11). He then describes how God was answering their prayers for him by working in the lives of "the whole palace guard" and how the gospel was spreading because many had become confident in witnessing without fear (Philippians 1:12-14).
The point is this: Paul believed God was at work in all the things that had happened to him (Romans 8:28), which produced in him confidence, boldness and assurance that spread to others around him. Praying (Philippians 1:1-11) for others, no matter what your own circumstances are (1:3-4, 9-11) and sharing needs with others so they can pray for you with thanksgiving is the key to being able to see what God is doing. Confidence is the result which can then be shared with others (fruit is not for the tree, it is for others).
In verses 15 through 18, Paul reveals he knew of some preachers who were envious, angry, contentious and greedy. Unfortunately, they are still with us today. But Paul did not worry, fear or doubt when he learned of such people (although the temptation is strong to end up adopting a trait we start out abhorring).
Evil is a Deceptive Trap
Instead, he rejoiced in the fact that the message of Christ is more powerful than the messenger of Christ. His confidence was in Christ and in the gospel of Christ, not in methods or motives of sharing Christ.
Paul then states he is confident of what will happen in the future, because of what God has promised to do in him in the future, which is to magnify Christ (Philippians 1:19-20). We can have that same confidence if we will learn what Paul learned and know what he knew, namely, that God is at work in our lives bearing the Christ-honoring fruit of the Spirit for all the world to come and feast upon. And that no matter what happens to us, we can choose, by abiding in Christ, to allow God to do a mighty work in us, which will be a witness to the world around us of the reality and power of Christ.
Bible Study: Philippians 1:12-30
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.