Stress Management for Christians
Stress management, stress relief, reducing stress, coping with stress — we see these terms all over the place in our modern society. What is stress and how can we “manage” it?
In the modern dictionary the meaning of stress that is most associated with the management of it is this: mental or physical tension or strain, or the urgency or pressure causing the tension or strain.
My contention is that most stress is really how we think about what is happening to us. I said, most, not all, so don’t get too upset with me. If my contention is correct then stress management would be mostly managing what we think, or how we perceive what is happening to us.
Some Bible scriptures talk about the importance of what we are thinking. We are told to take our thoughts captive in 2 Corinthians 10:5. We are told what sort of things to think about in Philippians 4:8 (nothing negative there).
Along with what we are thinking, we need to examine whether we are trusting God or whether we are living in anxiety and fear. Are your thoughts believing and trusting thoughts or are your thoughts anxious and fearful thoughts?
It’s pretty common knowledge now that medical science has proved that anxiety causes stressful reactions in our physical bodies and therefore contributes greatly to many diseases. But did you know that anxiety on any level is actually a sin?
God commands us not to be anxious.
"Be careful [anxious] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ." (Philippians 4:6-7)
Here we are told not to be anxious but to pray about everything and be thankful when we pray. If we are truly trusting in God, then this is very easy to do. And we are guaranteed to have the peace of God that passes understanding. This peace of God can shelter us from all “stress”.
We are told to trust in God (Psalm 62:8) and He does give us plenty of reasons to trust Him after all, these being just a few:
God is for us (Psalm 56:9, Romans 8:31). He is on our side (Ps. 118:6). He is with us (Isaiah 8:10, Psalm 46:7). He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).
In knowing and believing all this, it should be easy then for us to cast all of our care upon Him (1 Peter 5:7).
There is a practical side of this issue. We need to make sure our faith is fed daily by reading God’s Word. We need to pray at all times especially when things start getting “pressured” or “urgent”or “stressed”.
We need to keep up the health of our physical bodies. We will be more apt to give in to fear, anxiety, anger, complaints, irritability and every bad thing if we are sick, hungry, thirsty, tired etc. So make sure you eat right, exercise, get enough sleep etc.
So we “manage” stress by managing our thoughts and our reactions to what is happening around us. We remain trustful of God and do not sink into fear or anxiety. We keep our faith up by reading God’s Word daily and praying all the time with thanksgiving. We take good care of our physical bodies.
This was not intended as an all-inclusive post on the topic but it is my hope that this was helpful. If so, please leave me a comment below.
Photo from original blog post
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.