Stress Management for Christians
Stress management, stress relief, reducing stress, coping with stress — we see these terms all over the place in our modern society. What is stress and how can we “manage” it?
In the modern dictionary the meaning of stress that is most associated with the management of it is this: mental or physical tension or strain, or the urgency or pressure causing the tension or strain.
My contention is that most stress is really how we think about what is happening to us. I said, most, not all, so don’t get too upset with me. If my contention is correct then stress management would be mostly managing what we think, or how we perceive what is happening to us.
Some Bible scriptures talk about the importance of what we are thinking. We are told to take our thoughts captive in 2 Corinthians 10:5. We are told what sort of things to think about in Philippians 4:8 (nothing negative there).
Along with what we are thinking, we need to examine whether we are trusting God or whether we are living in anxiety and fear. Are your thoughts believing and trusting thoughts or are your thoughts anxious and fearful thoughts?
It’s pretty common knowledge now that medical science has proved that anxiety causes stressful reactions in our physical bodies and therefore contributes greatly to many diseases. But did you know that anxiety on any level is actually a sin?
God commands us not to be anxious.
"Be careful [anxious] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ." (Philippians 4:6-7)
Here we are told not to be anxious but to pray about everything and be thankful when we pray. If we are truly trusting in God, then this is very easy to do. And we are guaranteed to have the peace of God that passes understanding. This peace of God can shelter us from all “stress”.
We are told to trust in God (Psalm 62:8) and He does give us plenty of reasons to trust Him after all, these being just a few:
God is for us (Psalm 56:9, Romans 8:31). He is on our side (Ps. 118:6). He is with us (Isaiah 8:10, Psalm 46:7). He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).
In knowing and believing all this, it should be easy then for us to cast all of our care upon Him (1 Peter 5:7).
There is a practical side of this issue. We need to make sure our faith is fed daily by reading God’s Word. We need to pray at all times especially when things start getting “pressured” or “urgent”or “stressed”.
We need to keep up the health of our physical bodies. We will be more apt to give in to fear, anxiety, anger, complaints, irritability and every bad thing if we are sick, hungry, thirsty, tired etc. So make sure you eat right, exercise, get enough sleep etc.
So we “manage” stress by managing our thoughts and our reactions to what is happening around us. We remain trustful of God and do not sink into fear or anxiety. We keep our faith up by reading God’s Word daily and praying all the time with thanksgiving. We take good care of our physical bodies.
This was not intended as an all-inclusive post on the topic but it is my hope that this was helpful. If so, please leave me a comment below.
Photo from original blog post
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Why I Spent $4,102 To Spend A Few Days with Ray Edwards.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW - And All That Madness by Joan Merrill.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Discipleshift” by Jim Putman and Bobby Harrington.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Biggest Threat to Your Relationship and How to Avoid It – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Anticipation: What’s Next for Moms Who Want to Live the Bucket List Life?.
- Valerie Perrine just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost High School Footballer Pull Off An Incredibly Inspirational Interview.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How To Stick With Youth Ministry For The Long Haul.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children’s Book Shares Transgender Story With Kids Ages 4-8.
- solomon david published the blogpost Effective Steps to Setup WordPress Multisite With An Ease.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Overcoming Our Identity Crisis: A Guest Post By Michael Perkins.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Cheerleaders Defy School’s Ban, Lead Crowd in Lord’s Prayer.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost ‘Slenderman’ Costumes Sold in County Where Girl Was Brutally Stabbed.
- solomon david published the blogpost Mobile Web or Mobile Application – Which One You Need Most For Your Online Store?.
- Greg Atkinson published the blogpost Big Announcement: I’m Joining the Staff of Transformation Church.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when you can read the first chapter of tables in the wilderness for free.
- George Mark just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Dare Mighty Things: Your Life Matters Guest Post by Halee Gray Scott.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 4 Challenge: Go Hands Free.
- Natasha Crain published the blogpost 4 Easy Ways Parents Can Use the Internet to Grow Giving Hearts.
- GerDonna Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kallie Ybarra published the blogpost Cheap Huggies at Rite Aid and Money-Maker Colgate at Target.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming Entertainment.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Standing On The Never Changing Truths Found In The Word Of God by Debbie Harris.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All That Really Matters Is Christ’s Approval by Debbie Harris.