The Truth and Infomercials.
As humans, we have become so gullible. It seems we will fall for anything. We are like the weak minded in the Star Wars films, easily susceptible to the old jedi mind trick.
Television shows that trick people have huge ratings. Ask Ashton Kutcher. We can’t tell truth from fiction anymore. We are being suckered before a live studio audience. Intelligent lifeforms that monitor us from far far away must be asking themselves: “Why are we not invading this planet?”
Late night infomercials are jedi masters. They trick us into desiring things that we don’t need:
“I really want a Sham-Wow. Vince has such a sparkling personality.”
“Yes. I do want a boat with a screen door bottom.”
“That chia pet would look great on my mantle.”
We are suckers for new and improved, sparkly things.
It’s the same way in our spiritual lives. The enemy tempts us into wanting things outside of our beliefs. He shows us a clump of grass and convinces us that it’s greener on his side of the fence.
We allow ourselves to be duped.
Paul writes this:
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths” - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
It’s in our nature. We desire things because we are human. We want to have our ears tickled.
So we turn to myths. We drink the Kool-aid and hop the fence, all the while forgetting the truth.
So where does the truth lie? The truth is in God’s word.
“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” - John 8: 31-32
That’s such a simple statement. Know the truth and be free.
We sometimes get locked into what the world see’s as right but it is never enough to make us happy or content. There is always more, something better, something shinier.
But the truth will set us free. Bury yourself in His word and remember that God is enough.
- David Buller published the blogpost Holy Week: As Jesus was dying, here is what he taught.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Alum’s book captures first responders’ stories from West.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Birthing Truth: Day 17 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost What Happens when Parents and Kids see Youth Group as Simply an Elective?.
- Holli Long published the blogpost My Summer Reading List and “Carry On, Warrior” Giveaway.
- Amy-Jo Girardier published the blogpost #faithfulone A sneak look at the DVD component of the new girls biblestudy.
- Clarence FellTime and Chance
Life is undeniably a gift from God, but this does not mean that it will unfold exactly as we desire. When we give gifts, unplanned things may happen. The warning every child hears when receiving a BB gun as a gift, is about shooting an eye out. We give gifts with the best of intentions, but life is too complicated for us to control how it unfolds. Solomon said it this way, “time and chance happen to everyone,” (Eccl. 9:11). This does not mean that the gift is flawed. It just means that we do not control every detail of life. It means that people have the ability to make their own decision. In the process of making decisions, some people make poor decisions. The only way life could function flawlessly is for God to take away our ability to make choices. I do not think any of us want God to turn us into preprogrammed little robots. That leaves us with our current situation, God gave us the gift of life and many people misuse that gift. This means that sometimes we will be in the wrong place at the wrong time when someone else makes a bad choice and we will suffer.
- Sheryl LongleyRemember there are always people ahead of you, to encourage you and show you the way.. And there is always people behind you,, you can encourage and show the way! :)
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWALKING THE CROSS IN THE MIDST OF “DANGER”
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasBREAKTHROUGH IN BROTHELS
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWE HAVE OFFICALLY STARTED BROTHEL OUTREACH!!!
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasCAN GOD USE “UNQUALIFIED” PEOPLE TO REACH OTHERS?
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasLOOKING LIKE A FOOL PRODUCES FRUIT
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWHO WILL REACH THE ADDICTS?
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasIT IS EASY TO REACH OUT TO MUSLIMS!
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasREACHING THE SEX INDUSTRY
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasDALLAS OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES
- sheryl longley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- jerry Chancey just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost MercyMe soars on latest album ‘Welcome To The New’.
- Perry HancockNOW ACCEPTING YOUR STORIES!!! Launch Date - April 21. 124go.com Please share with everyone. Thank you.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Francesca Battistelli’s new album ‘If We’re Honest’ in entirety.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost Book Proposals, Writing Festivals, & the Miracle of Process.