The Truth and Infomercials.
As humans, we have become so gullible. It seems we will fall for anything. We are like the weak minded in the Star Wars films, easily susceptible to the old jedi mind trick.
Television shows that trick people have huge ratings. Ask Ashton Kutcher. We can’t tell truth from fiction anymore. We are being suckered before a live studio audience. Intelligent lifeforms that monitor us from far far away must be asking themselves: “Why are we not invading this planet?”
Late night infomercials are jedi masters. They trick us into desiring things that we don’t need:
“I really want a Sham-Wow. Vince has such a sparkling personality.”
“Yes. I do want a boat with a screen door bottom.”
“That chia pet would look great on my mantle.”
We are suckers for new and improved, sparkly things.
It’s the same way in our spiritual lives. The enemy tempts us into wanting things outside of our beliefs. He shows us a clump of grass and convinces us that it’s greener on his side of the fence.
We allow ourselves to be duped.
Paul writes this:
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths” - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
It’s in our nature. We desire things because we are human. We want to have our ears tickled.
So we turn to myths. We drink the Kool-aid and hop the fence, all the while forgetting the truth.
So where does the truth lie? The truth is in God’s word.
“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” - John 8: 31-32
That’s such a simple statement. Know the truth and be free.
We sometimes get locked into what the world see’s as right but it is never enough to make us happy or content. There is always more, something better, something shinier.
But the truth will set us free. Bury yourself in His word and remember that God is enough.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost The Hope Quotient: Measure It. Raise It. You’ll Never Be the Same [Book].
- solomon david published the blogpost Good & Bad Things That Shouldn’t Be Ignored While Hiring Developers.
- solomon david published the blogpost Best of 2014 – 10 Useful Real Estate Apps for Agents And Brokers.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost What do you want do? The Importance of Knowing Yourself.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost 3 Sea of Galilee Sites You’ll Pass But May Not See.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Four Things A Youth Leader Should SayTo Young People.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost What Is My Depression-Anxiety Saying? (Part 2 of 2).
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘The Guest’- And You Thought Your Relatives were Bad.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Shari Miller @ Living To Leave A Legacy.
- Steve Perky published the blogpost How Can The Church Keep Up With The Changing Dimensions of Information? [Video].
- Kim Cedrick Matiga just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Pre-order @MaxLucado’s BEFORE AMEN and receive a FREE book.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The latest Quilts of Love release - Hidden in the Stars - out today!.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.