Third Day's 'Miracle' [Album Review]
I have to be honest, this album made me smile.
This was the first Third Day album in a long time, that I think Third Day ‘brought it’ for a whole album; and boy did they bring it.
For me, Third Day, for the last couple of albums had been a ’singles’ band - a band that released a great single, and an album filled with Third Day-sounding songs that were all a clone copy of each other. However, from the very start of this album it feels like Mac Powell and the gang have been given a new lease on life and have started to find new sounds.
Hit Me Like A Bomb
The first track ‘Hit me Like a Bomb’ has the band singing, ”Hear the sound of the sirens ringing/See the world of a life that’s changing/Well you hit me like a bomb.” These guy are starting to change too and it sounds great - it’s melodic and it still rocks. Even the lyrics are more in your face than the band has brought for a while.
You’ll find out pretty soon into the album that Third Day have been working on their new sound, and the big thing to come out of it was melodic non-lyrical vocals - so lots of “Ohhh’s” and “Ahhh’s” but in a really cool, southern way.
The album has got a much more mainstream radio feel to it than previous albums of theirs, and it’s a sign that Third Day is finally stepping up to the plate they seemed to shy away from for awhile.
The songs on this album sit somewhere between artists like Train, NEEDTOBREATHE, fun and Matchbox 20.
Now I have to be honest, when I saw a Third Day album with another dreamylooking cover and cliché album title I thought, “Here we go, another Christian album with all lyric content and no music that would venture outside of the Christian world of youth groups and Christmas and Easter plays.”
Even tracks with more heart-felt titles like "Your Love is like a River" or "You Are my Everything" have a real edge and a pop/rock sensibility without falling into the ‘Third Day sound’ rut of former albums.
The great thing about this album is right in the middle of it sits a track called "I Need A Miracle," a collection of stories of people needing a miracle, people who found that there was a time in their life when they realised that they can’t do it all on their own and “Need a Miracle.” It’s a great song that takes you on a journey and a nice focus for the rest of the album.
The album ends just as well as it starts, with tracks "For The Rest of My Life" and "I Want to Believe In You," with the latter even bringing the good old-fashioned gospel backing vocals that lift the chorus to great heights.
The album ironically finishes with the most Third Day-sounding song, "Take Me Back." It's then that you realize just how good they were, and just how much better they have gotten on this album.
This album is proof that good bands can actually still release great music and not rest on their laurels.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost A Dozen Things You Can Do to Start Really Living Today.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kidnapped Boy, 10, Sang A Gospel Song For 3 HOURS Until Abductor Set Him Free.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Suffer A Concussion More Likely To Attempt Suicide: study.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost New Teen Deadly LSD-Like Drug 25I, or N-bomb Trends.