Third Day's 'Miracle' [Album Review]
I have to be honest, this album made me smile.
This was the first Third Day album in a long time, that I think Third Day ‘brought it’ for a whole album; and boy did they bring it.
For me, Third Day, for the last couple of albums had been a ’singles’ band - a band that released a great single, and an album filled with Third Day-sounding songs that were all a clone copy of each other. However, from the very start of this album it feels like Mac Powell and the gang have been given a new lease on life and have started to find new sounds.
Hit Me Like A Bomb
The first track ‘Hit me Like a Bomb’ has the band singing, ”Hear the sound of the sirens ringing/See the world of a life that’s changing/Well you hit me like a bomb.” These guy are starting to change too and it sounds great - it’s melodic and it still rocks. Even the lyrics are more in your face than the band has brought for a while.
You’ll find out pretty soon into the album that Third Day have been working on their new sound, and the big thing to come out of it was melodic non-lyrical vocals - so lots of “Ohhh’s” and “Ahhh’s” but in a really cool, southern way.
The album has got a much more mainstream radio feel to it than previous albums of theirs, and it’s a sign that Third Day is finally stepping up to the plate they seemed to shy away from for awhile.
The songs on this album sit somewhere between artists like Train, NEEDTOBREATHE, fun and Matchbox 20.
Now I have to be honest, when I saw a Third Day album with another dreamylooking cover and cliché album title I thought, “Here we go, another Christian album with all lyric content and no music that would venture outside of the Christian world of youth groups and Christmas and Easter plays.”
Even tracks with more heart-felt titles like "Your Love is like a River" or "You Are my Everything" have a real edge and a pop/rock sensibility without falling into the ‘Third Day sound’ rut of former albums.
The great thing about this album is right in the middle of it sits a track called "I Need A Miracle," a collection of stories of people needing a miracle, people who found that there was a time in their life when they realised that they can’t do it all on their own and “Need a Miracle.” It’s a great song that takes you on a journey and a nice focus for the rest of the album.
The album ends just as well as it starts, with tracks "For The Rest of My Life" and "I Want to Believe In You," with the latter even bringing the good old-fashioned gospel backing vocals that lift the chorus to great heights.
The album ironically finishes with the most Third Day-sounding song, "Take Me Back." It's then that you realize just how good they were, and just how much better they have gotten on this album.
This album is proof that good bands can actually still release great music and not rest on their laurels.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 24th: Staying Alive: Why the Conventional Wisdom about Traditional Churches Is Wrong http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500251
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Bears sweep Big 12 Athlete of the Year honors for 2nd time in 3 years.
- Jefferson Castro published the blogpost Cristãos no Iraque tem casas marcadas por terroristas.
- Leigh Powers published the blogpost Blessings In Obedience–A Guest Post from Denise Lilly.
- John Deisher published the blogpost 9 Things to Do While You’re Still Single [Relevant].
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 24th Only! Living Into the Potential of Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AXZKV2E
- George BullardJuly 24th: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another About Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-24th-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-about-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Pete HouptJames 5:16-18 MSG
Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. Elijah, for instance, human just like us, prayed hard that it wouldn’t rain, and it didn’t—not a drop for three and a half years. Then he prayed that it would rain, and it did. The showers came and everything started growing again.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost Thinking Pink: Why My Daughter Thinks I’m “One of the Girls”.
- solomon david published the blogpost Hire Shopify App Development Company to build Robust eStore.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 3 Problems with Unspoken Expectations in Leadership.
- leelee hall uploaded a photo
- leelee hall created a new gallery
- leelee hall just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Backlogged Immigration System Prolongs Road to Deportation for Unaccompanied Minors.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 3): What is Modesty?.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost The One Change that Will Revolutionize How You Discipline (And Skyrocket Your Success).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Another Planned Parenthood Caught Promoting X-Rated Advice to Underage Girls.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost The Faith of Joseph: Trusting God When Life Is Hard.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Three “P’s” to Unleash the Power in Team Collaboration – Külli Koort.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 46: ‘Slow Church’ Authors Chris Smith & John Pattison.