Find the Fun in Grocery Shopping
I like to eat :) , which means I cook, and therefore ... I must grocery shop. I don’t hate the grocery store (especially when they give samples!), the relaxing music at my favorite store always slows me down — and I look at people around me. Lately, I have seen more and more mommies, with little ones, who do this:
Walk in — child on hip or by the hand, pull out cart, plunk child in cart, reach into purse or diaper bag for phone or ipad or any device with a screen, push “ON,” give to child, start shopping. No talking.
Have you seen this? Do you DO this? Believe me, I get it! We are BUSY - stuff to do, meals to cook, laundry, gotta get through this list, collect coupons,get home asap, go, go , GO!
WAIT! - Don’t miss an opportunity - A creative way to talk to your children about the Lord!! Deuteronomy 6:7 says, “Talk about Him when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, get up in the morning, when you lie down at night, and when you are at the grocery store! (I added to the scripture just a bit). And, consider Romans 1:20, “Since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities ... have been clearly seen in what has been made....”
So what does this have to do with grocery shopping? Try this:
- Look at what has been made! As you walk through the produce - notice shapes, and colors. Tell your children, “God made this.”
- Have them touch and smell and see....Thank God for your eyes and nose and fingers. Feel a potato. Touch an onion.
- Smell some fennel (I love fennel!). Play the “I SPY” game. What is orange? What is yellow? Have them close their eyes and smell mint, basil, or cilantro.
- Thank God for your tongue -—we can taste all the good food God made. Go to the Dairy and ask, “Where do we get milk, and eggs? Thank God for cows and hens, and farmers! Make animal noises. Go ahead, embarrass yourself! Your kids will love you! (I should know. I dress in a costume and embarrass my kids all the time!)
A great adventure in parenting is looking for and finding God is everywhere! One of Miss PattyCake’s songs says this: “Everywhere you look you see —in colors, numbers, ABCs — Everywhere you look you see, God loves you and God loves me!”
Now, were all my trips to the grocery a “glorious parenting experience”? Ha! No. I always hope for successful teaching moments, even the time my son knocked over a display and sent jars of spaghetti sauce crashing! What a mess. But I put on a brave face and said, "WOW! Red is everywhere! Clean-up on aisle 3..."
Photo cc by USACE Europe District on Flickr.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost A Dozen Things You Can Do to Start Really Living Today.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kidnapped Boy, 10, Sang A Gospel Song For 3 HOURS Until Abductor Set Him Free.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Suffer A Concussion More Likely To Attempt Suicide: study.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost New Teen Deadly LSD-Like Drug 25I, or N-bomb Trends.
- Scott Couchenour published the blogpost Serve Strong: An Interview With Author Terry Powell (part 1).
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Should Churches Allow Their Pastors To Smoke Pot If It Is Legal?.
- Nathan Rouse published the blogpost #011 Four Questions You Should Be Asking Your Kids.
- Perry HancockGOD'S WORD 2DAY - Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works..."
When we think of work, we often see ourselves as employees of the company that provides us with a means to make a living. We may work for a bank, a school, a factory, or even a church.
In this verse we learn that we actually work for the Lord and that we were created to do good works for Him.
Today while you are at work remember that even though you have work to do for your company, you also have good works to do for the Lord.
Do something 2DAY for Him and share your story at 124GO.
- Jeff Randleman published the blogpost Book Review – How High Will You Climb? By John C. Maxwell.
- Donald Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- solomon david published the blogpost Product Video – A Highly Advanced & Elegant X-Cart Module by Perception System.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Hiring Great People Begins With Great Interview Questions – Glenn Brooke.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost My Practices for Walking Well with God-Guest Post by Steve Douglass.