Find the Fun in Grocery Shopping
I like to eat :) , which means I cook, and therefore ... I must grocery shop. I don’t hate the grocery store (especially when they give samples!), the relaxing music at my favorite store always slows me down — and I look at people around me. Lately, I have seen more and more mommies, with little ones, who do this:
Walk in — child on hip or by the hand, pull out cart, plunk child in cart, reach into purse or diaper bag for phone or ipad or any device with a screen, push “ON,” give to child, start shopping. No talking.
Have you seen this? Do you DO this? Believe me, I get it! We are BUSY - stuff to do, meals to cook, laundry, gotta get through this list, collect coupons,get home asap, go, go , GO!
WAIT! - Don’t miss an opportunity - A creative way to talk to your children about the Lord!! Deuteronomy 6:7 says, “Talk about Him when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, get up in the morning, when you lie down at night, and when you are at the grocery store! (I added to the scripture just a bit). And, consider Romans 1:20, “Since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities ... have been clearly seen in what has been made....”
So what does this have to do with grocery shopping? Try this:
- Look at what has been made! As you walk through the produce - notice shapes, and colors. Tell your children, “God made this.”
- Have them touch and smell and see....Thank God for your eyes and nose and fingers. Feel a potato. Touch an onion.
- Smell some fennel (I love fennel!). Play the “I SPY” game. What is orange? What is yellow? Have them close their eyes and smell mint, basil, or cilantro.
- Thank God for your tongue -—we can taste all the good food God made. Go to the Dairy and ask, “Where do we get milk, and eggs? Thank God for cows and hens, and farmers! Make animal noises. Go ahead, embarrass yourself! Your kids will love you! (I should know. I dress in a costume and embarrass my kids all the time!)
A great adventure in parenting is looking for and finding God is everywhere! One of Miss PattyCake’s songs says this: “Everywhere you look you see —in colors, numbers, ABCs — Everywhere you look you see, God loves you and God loves me!”
Now, were all my trips to the grocery a “glorious parenting experience”? Ha! No. I always hope for successful teaching moments, even the time my son knocked over a display and sent jars of spaghetti sauce crashing! What a mess. But I put on a brave face and said, "WOW! Red is everywhere! Clean-up on aisle 3..."
Photo cc by USACE Europe District on Flickr.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Two Hardest But Most Important Words A Leader Can Say.
- Marie Osborne published the blogpost Fall is for New Friends (also, pumpkin EVERYTHING!).
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.