Find the Fun in Grocery Shopping
I like to eat :) , which means I cook, and therefore ... I must grocery shop. I don’t hate the grocery store (especially when they give samples!), the relaxing music at my favorite store always slows me down — and I look at people around me. Lately, I have seen more and more mommies, with little ones, who do this:
Walk in — child on hip or by the hand, pull out cart, plunk child in cart, reach into purse or diaper bag for phone or ipad or any device with a screen, push “ON,” give to child, start shopping. No talking.
Have you seen this? Do you DO this? Believe me, I get it! We are BUSY - stuff to do, meals to cook, laundry, gotta get through this list, collect coupons,get home asap, go, go , GO!
WAIT! - Don’t miss an opportunity - A creative way to talk to your children about the Lord!! Deuteronomy 6:7 says, “Talk about Him when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, get up in the morning, when you lie down at night, and when you are at the grocery store! (I added to the scripture just a bit). And, consider Romans 1:20, “Since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities ... have been clearly seen in what has been made....”
So what does this have to do with grocery shopping? Try this:
- Look at what has been made! As you walk through the produce - notice shapes, and colors. Tell your children, “God made this.”
- Have them touch and smell and see....Thank God for your eyes and nose and fingers. Feel a potato. Touch an onion.
- Smell some fennel (I love fennel!). Play the “I SPY” game. What is orange? What is yellow? Have them close their eyes and smell mint, basil, or cilantro.
- Thank God for your tongue -—we can taste all the good food God made. Go to the Dairy and ask, “Where do we get milk, and eggs? Thank God for cows and hens, and farmers! Make animal noises. Go ahead, embarrass yourself! Your kids will love you! (I should know. I dress in a costume and embarrass my kids all the time!)
A great adventure in parenting is looking for and finding God is everywhere! One of Miss PattyCake’s songs says this: “Everywhere you look you see —in colors, numbers, ABCs — Everywhere you look you see, God loves you and God loves me!”
Now, were all my trips to the grocery a “glorious parenting experience”? Ha! No. I always hope for successful teaching moments, even the time my son knocked over a display and sent jars of spaghetti sauce crashing! What a mess. But I put on a brave face and said, "WOW! Red is everywhere! Clean-up on aisle 3..."
Photo cc by USACE Europe District on Flickr.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Caramel Apple Cider Ginger Ale Floats #SundaySupper.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Thing Big Difference: Week Three - "Words Get In The Way".
- Dwayne Robinson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The old maid and her old lady hoarder hobby - with product reviews.
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Make a Wish: Setting One-Year Bucket List Intentions.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents’ Primer on Internet Pornography – UPDATED!.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Does New ‘Fight Church’ Documentary Hit Below the Belt?.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Busyness and Productivity Set on Sale at WTS Books – Today Only.
- Brad Russell published the article Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.