Lightning Bugs, Flip-Flops and Summer Traditions
Growing up back east there were a few sure signs that summer was officially here! The last day of school, the first lightning bug (firefly) sighting and digging your flips flops out of winter storage were all signs that summer had begun. Summer was playing outside until our mom called us home or the street lights turned on at dusk. It was then you pleaded for just a half hour more to stay in the yard and catch lightning bugs. It was endless hours of riding our bikes and playing outside. My mom would load the entire neighborhood up in our station wagon and take us to Moon Park to play kickball.
I’m so grateful for those fun memories of summer. Now that I live on the west coast and have a small son, I wonder what fun traditions will get him excited for summer to start. We don’t have lightning bugs and the temperature is moderate so we don’t really pack away our flip-flops, but I think we have already started some traditions we’ll carry on each summer.
Picking fresh apricots off our tree and eating them, celebrating his birthday each June, (I always wanted a summer birthday!) picnics at the park, family camp with friends, hiking in the mountains and making mud pies with the hose are just a few traditions we’ve started.
We also are excited for him to spend the summers as a family “doing for one what we wish we could do for everyone” in our community. My husband and I decided to start a family tradition in the summer to spend time giving so that our son grows up knowing the joy of giving his time to serve others. Our pastor in Atlanta challenged us with the phrase, do for one what you wish you could do for everyone. We want to teach our son that although he can’t do for everyone that he can still make a difference serving one.
These are the memories and traditions we are making right now for our west coast son who will get to travel back east this summer to catch lightning bugs and wear flip-flops at grandma’s.
What are some of your favorite childhood summer traditions? What traditions have you started with your family?
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Make a Wish: Setting One-Year Bucket List Intentions.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents’ Primer on Internet Pornography – UPDATED!.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Does New ‘Fight Church’ Documentary Hit Below the Belt?.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Busyness and Productivity Set on Sale at WTS Books – Today Only.
- Brad Russell published the article Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor study brings national attention to potential for cell phone addiction.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Is your child safety seat installed correctly? [video].
- Matt Reed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Leaving Liberty by Virginia Carmichael.
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Leaders – How well are you getting people grounded in the faith?.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Friday Soul Food: Jen Michel’s Teach Us to Want and the Conversion of Our Desires.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 85% Of Millennials In The US (18-24) Own Smartphones.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Attack, Hospitalize Innocent Man For Doing Good.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Getting High A Little Less Often; No One Knows Why.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Quit People Pleasing – Balance Around the Blogosphere & Linkup.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Chip Doolittle just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- solomon david published the blogpost 5 Most Tempting Reasons to Use PHP For Your Next Project.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Do You Know What Is The Most Popular Book Of All Time?.