Lightning Bugs, Flip-Flops and Summer Traditions
Growing up back east there were a few sure signs that summer was officially here! The last day of school, the first lightning bug (firefly) sighting and digging your flips flops out of winter storage were all signs that summer had begun. Summer was playing outside until our mom called us home or the street lights turned on at dusk. It was then you pleaded for just a half hour more to stay in the yard and catch lightning bugs. It was endless hours of riding our bikes and playing outside. My mom would load the entire neighborhood up in our station wagon and take us to Moon Park to play kickball.
I’m so grateful for those fun memories of summer. Now that I live on the west coast and have a small son, I wonder what fun traditions will get him excited for summer to start. We don’t have lightning bugs and the temperature is moderate so we don’t really pack away our flip-flops, but I think we have already started some traditions we’ll carry on each summer.
Picking fresh apricots off our tree and eating them, celebrating his birthday each June, (I always wanted a summer birthday!) picnics at the park, family camp with friends, hiking in the mountains and making mud pies with the hose are just a few traditions we’ve started.
We also are excited for him to spend the summers as a family “doing for one what we wish we could do for everyone” in our community. My husband and I decided to start a family tradition in the summer to spend time giving so that our son grows up knowing the joy of giving his time to serve others. Our pastor in Atlanta challenged us with the phrase, do for one what you wish you could do for everyone. We want to teach our son that although he can’t do for everyone that he can still make a difference serving one.
These are the memories and traditions we are making right now for our west coast son who will get to travel back east this summer to catch lightning bugs and wear flip-flops at grandma’s.
What are some of your favorite childhood summer traditions? What traditions have you started with your family?
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Physically Neglected Boys Are More Likely To Become Violent Adolescents.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Brain Imaging Shows Differences in Risk Taking Teens.
- Felicia Crawford(We apologize for the delay due to technical issues).
In this video, Felicia Crawford Ministry (FCM) discusses the sensitive topic concerning homosexuality. This Life Lesson is based on Romans 1:16 - 2:4. In Part 1, FCM addresses man's sexual sin nature; how God's love draws one through tolerance, patience and kindness, not forceful or unkind; the LGBT community's ideology of "I was born this way"; man's tendency to serve creative things instead of the creator; how the world caters to man's sin nature and man's sin nature caters to the world; and much more.
Part 2 will cover the judgmental views of the church.
- Scarlet Bluefield published the blogpost Ancho Chicken and Black Bean Salad with Cliantro-Lime Dressing.
- John Rutledge published the article How Kent Brantly Survived Ebola: Intense Medical Care — and Prayer.
- Brad Russell published the article What Atticus Finch Taught Me About Watching the News.
- Brad Russell published the article My Whitebread, Middle-Class Opinions About Ferguson Just Matter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'A Christian Survivor Guide' | Ed Cyzewski [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 8 Reasons Young Leadership Is Essential to Your Organization Now.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Know where you’ll park before heading to McLane Stadium.
- Brad Russell published the article What I Learned from Creating 100 Sermon Bumpers in One Year.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Headlines: Breakfast debate, instant noodles, Ebola recovery.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Logos Made Flesh, Full of Grace and Truth — John 1:14.
- Jennifer Cote published the blogpost Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas w/Mexican-style Red Sauce.
- John Peterson published the blogpost Are You Feeling Trapped? Learn This One Secret to Finding Freedom.
- Brad Russell published the article 'Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus' | Nabeel Qureshi [Book Review].
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Workplace Christians: The Engine for How the Gospel Spreads.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Blessings, Moments, and Love Around the Blogosphere.
- Brad Russell published the article 'New Monasticism' | Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove [Book Review].
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Nils Smith published the blogpost My Interview with William Vanderbloemen discussing NEXT.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost My Reflections on the Events in Ferguson in Light of Miroslav Volf.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The App That Will Change How You Do Youth Ministry.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost One Vital Question that will Transform Your Teaching.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Use This Automation Hack to Archive Your Social Media Life – Reade Milner.