Do We Respect God?
“Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!” (Psalm 33:8)
Reverence is defined as having a profound respect and awe for someone or something. It can also be known as fear – not necessarily from being scared at someone or about something, but rather having the utmost respect. Do we really look at God this way? Do we treat Him with the utmost respect that He deserves? Are we in awe of Him?
I think most of us would say to ourselves, “Well of course, He is God” and then just kind of move on from the subject. What does Scripture say about this and does our view match up?
Most of us are familiar with the story of Pharaoh around the time of Moses when God unleashes multiple plagues on the Egyptians after Pharaoh repeatedly hardens his heart. What I typically hear these days when talking about it are things like, “If God hardened his heart, does that mean he created him to just suffer and die? How is that fair?”
“For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, 'For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.' So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills” (Romans 9:17-18).
How do you feel when you read that? Does it seem unfair to you that God has mercy on whomever He wills and hardens whomever He wills? Does that mean God is just controlling? Paul answers back, asking what gives us the right to tell God what to do and to question Him? How disrespectful and unloving is it for us to address God in a manner like that and question not only His plans, but His authority?
“You will say to me then, 'Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?' But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have you made me like this?' Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?” (Romans 9:19-21)
I think it’s time we address the matter of reverence.
We need a wakeup call. Speaking of a wakeup call, how do you wake up in the morning? How do you fall asleep at night? How are you even breathing right now? Do you think it is from your own power or experience? Were you just born with the ability to close your eyes and make yourself fall asleep? Every single gift of every day, including breathing, sleeping, waking up, having food, our health, or even being able to read this post are all a gift from God.
So, for example, if He is the reason we are breathing, then why is when we are faced with something we don’t like or agree with, we find ourselves questioning God?
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!” (Psalm 111:10)
Let’s start here. Let’s hold Him in reverence like He deserves. We wouldn’t even have another day if it wasn’t for Him!
Let’s rest in the fact that we have a loving and fair God.
He sent His one and only Son to die for us on the cross. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins on our behalf that when we surrender our lives to Him, our sins are no longer what God sees when He looks at us. Instead He sees the blood of His Son covering us and we are forgiven! This is great news!
If you don’t have a relationship with Him, why wouldn’t you want one? Don’t you want to have a relationship with the Almighty God who created you and wakes you up every single morning and is giving you breath at this moment? The best part about this is that you can start that relationship now. Pray to God and confess that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead. Surrender your life to Him and begin to live that life today.
If God does all of this for us, is there really a question if He is loving or fair? Instead of you asking about God and His fairness or His methods of how He created the world, or how He created man, or how He has been involved in every single detail of every life since the beginning, why don’t we stop, get on our knees, and pray to our Lord out of reverence for Him, to thank Him for the new life we now get to have because of Jesus! Let’s stand in awe of Him.
What about you? Do you respect God?
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘The Guest’- And You Thought Your Relatives were Bad.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Shari Miller @ Living To Leave A Legacy.
- Steve Perky published the blogpost How Can The Church Keep Up With The Changing Dimensions of Information? [Video].
- Kim Cedrick Matiga just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Pre-order @MaxLucado’s BEFORE AMEN and receive a FREE book.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The latest Quilts of Love release - Hidden in the Stars - out today!.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.