Do We Respect God?
“Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!” (Psalm 33:8)
Reverence is defined as having a profound respect and awe for someone or something. It can also be known as fear – not necessarily from being scared at someone or about something, but rather having the utmost respect. Do we really look at God this way? Do we treat Him with the utmost respect that He deserves? Are we in awe of Him?
I think most of us would say to ourselves, “Well of course, He is God” and then just kind of move on from the subject. What does Scripture say about this and does our view match up?
Most of us are familiar with the story of Pharaoh around the time of Moses when God unleashes multiple plagues on the Egyptians after Pharaoh repeatedly hardens his heart. What I typically hear these days when talking about it are things like, “If God hardened his heart, does that mean he created him to just suffer and die? How is that fair?”
“For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, 'For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.' So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills” (Romans 9:17-18).
How do you feel when you read that? Does it seem unfair to you that God has mercy on whomever He wills and hardens whomever He wills? Does that mean God is just controlling? Paul answers back, asking what gives us the right to tell God what to do and to question Him? How disrespectful and unloving is it for us to address God in a manner like that and question not only His plans, but His authority?
“You will say to me then, 'Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?' But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have you made me like this?' Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?” (Romans 9:19-21)
I think it’s time we address the matter of reverence.
We need a wakeup call. Speaking of a wakeup call, how do you wake up in the morning? How do you fall asleep at night? How are you even breathing right now? Do you think it is from your own power or experience? Were you just born with the ability to close your eyes and make yourself fall asleep? Every single gift of every day, including breathing, sleeping, waking up, having food, our health, or even being able to read this post are all a gift from God.
So, for example, if He is the reason we are breathing, then why is when we are faced with something we don’t like or agree with, we find ourselves questioning God?
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!” (Psalm 111:10)
Let’s start here. Let’s hold Him in reverence like He deserves. We wouldn’t even have another day if it wasn’t for Him!
Let’s rest in the fact that we have a loving and fair God.
He sent His one and only Son to die for us on the cross. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins on our behalf that when we surrender our lives to Him, our sins are no longer what God sees when He looks at us. Instead He sees the blood of His Son covering us and we are forgiven! This is great news!
If you don’t have a relationship with Him, why wouldn’t you want one? Don’t you want to have a relationship with the Almighty God who created you and wakes you up every single morning and is giving you breath at this moment? The best part about this is that you can start that relationship now. Pray to God and confess that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead. Surrender your life to Him and begin to live that life today.
If God does all of this for us, is there really a question if He is loving or fair? Instead of you asking about God and His fairness or His methods of how He created the world, or how He created man, or how He has been involved in every single detail of every life since the beginning, why don’t we stop, get on our knees, and pray to our Lord out of reverence for Him, to thank Him for the new life we now get to have because of Jesus! Let’s stand in awe of Him.
What about you? Do you respect God?
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost There's trouble in Paradise... and I've lost interest.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.