Do We Respect God?
“Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!” (Psalm 33:8)
Reverence is defined as having a profound respect and awe for someone or something. It can also be known as fear – not necessarily from being scared at someone or about something, but rather having the utmost respect. Do we really look at God this way? Do we treat Him with the utmost respect that He deserves? Are we in awe of Him?
I think most of us would say to ourselves, “Well of course, He is God” and then just kind of move on from the subject. What does Scripture say about this and does our view match up?
Most of us are familiar with the story of Pharaoh around the time of Moses when God unleashes multiple plagues on the Egyptians after Pharaoh repeatedly hardens his heart. What I typically hear these days when talking about it are things like, “If God hardened his heart, does that mean he created him to just suffer and die? How is that fair?”
“For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, 'For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.' So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills” (Romans 9:17-18).
How do you feel when you read that? Does it seem unfair to you that God has mercy on whomever He wills and hardens whomever He wills? Does that mean God is just controlling? Paul answers back, asking what gives us the right to tell God what to do and to question Him? How disrespectful and unloving is it for us to address God in a manner like that and question not only His plans, but His authority?
“You will say to me then, 'Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?' But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have you made me like this?' Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?” (Romans 9:19-21)
I think it’s time we address the matter of reverence.
We need a wakeup call. Speaking of a wakeup call, how do you wake up in the morning? How do you fall asleep at night? How are you even breathing right now? Do you think it is from your own power or experience? Were you just born with the ability to close your eyes and make yourself fall asleep? Every single gift of every day, including breathing, sleeping, waking up, having food, our health, or even being able to read this post are all a gift from God.
So, for example, if He is the reason we are breathing, then why is when we are faced with something we don’t like or agree with, we find ourselves questioning God?
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!” (Psalm 111:10)
Let’s start here. Let’s hold Him in reverence like He deserves. We wouldn’t even have another day if it wasn’t for Him!
Let’s rest in the fact that we have a loving and fair God.
He sent His one and only Son to die for us on the cross. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins on our behalf that when we surrender our lives to Him, our sins are no longer what God sees when He looks at us. Instead He sees the blood of His Son covering us and we are forgiven! This is great news!
If you don’t have a relationship with Him, why wouldn’t you want one? Don’t you want to have a relationship with the Almighty God who created you and wakes you up every single morning and is giving you breath at this moment? The best part about this is that you can start that relationship now. Pray to God and confess that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead. Surrender your life to Him and begin to live that life today.
If God does all of this for us, is there really a question if He is loving or fair? Instead of you asking about God and His fairness or His methods of how He created the world, or how He created man, or how He has been involved in every single detail of every life since the beginning, why don’t we stop, get on our knees, and pray to our Lord out of reverence for Him, to thank Him for the new life we now get to have because of Jesus! Let’s stand in awe of Him.
What about you? Do you respect God?
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Was Jesus A Man That The Early Church Turned Into A God?.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Prayer on the Wind: Day 24 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- adekunle ojobaro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Pascal on how to measure our efforts [Quote].
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.