Who Are You?
If you haven’t, let me bring you up to speed.
Personality profile tests like these are questionnaires designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. In other words, the tests tell you who you are.
For instance the Myers-Briggs test people based on these four variables:
- Introvert versus Extravert
- Intuitive versus Sensing
- Thinking versus Feeling
- Judging versus Perceiving
The DiSC profile tests people on their levels of:
And, the StrengthsFinder tests people on 34 different attributes to determine a person’s top five strengths. I won’t list all 34, but a few examples are Responsibility, Communication, and Strategic.
Bored, yet? You probably are ... unless you’ve taken one of these tests. If you’ve taken a personality profile test, you understand what it feels like to have someone tell you who you are.
The results of my own tests reveal tons about me.
I’m an extrovert. Not new information to me. I tend to be a thinker more than a feeler. Again, the test hit the nail on the head. I have a dominant personality, confirmed by my results (and by my husband). I tend to gather facts and make decisions based on realistic expectations rather than stepping out into the unknown. I tend to influence others to follow my lead, which can be a good thing if I use my power for good, not evil! (Again, confirmed by my husband.)
These tests told me that I am responsible, that I am an achiever and that I am energized by being around people. Do you know what? The tests were right! And, it felt good to hear it. When those results declared who I am, I somehow felt known and understood. By naming my personality traits, those tests confirmed who I am.
Scripture says a day is coming when we as Christians will receive a new name, a name that will describe who we’ve been. A name that will sum up our character. A name given to us by Jesus, Himself. Check it out:
" ... and I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it” (Revelation 2:17b).
Throughout Scripture, names convey the character of the one bearing the name. Some theologians believe this new name will be the same for every Believer: the name of God on us. Yet, some theologians speculate that the new name will literally be a new name given to each person that describes our character, our journey with the Father, our level of faith. In short, a name that says who we are.
What name would Jesus give to you?
In that moment, don’t you want to be proud of the name He chooses? I mean, it wouldn’t be good if He whispered, “Sloth,” would it? Or “Apathetic?” No! I, for one, want Him to give me a name that indicates His great approval and love for me.
I want a name that screams my life-long devotion to Him.
The name Jesus chooses depends on us, really. It depends on who we choose to be. Let’s live our lives to earn a good name, a name that says we are known and understood and loved.
Who are you? Or, better yet, who does Jesus say you are?
CC Image • db Photography | Demi-Brooke on Flickr
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost The Weekend Brew: When You’re Reminded of Your Destiny.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 3 Lessons We Can Learn From Children – Daniel Kosmala.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Guidelines for Buying a Used Car for a Teen Driver.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teen Drinking Linked to Tougher Transition to Adulthood.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of July 21st.
- Kelley Mathews published the article What Not To Do When You Are Living 'In the Meantime'.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Looking Back, Facing Forward: 20 Soundtracks Jars of Clay’s 20-Year Celebration.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Stuffed French Toast with Bourbon Glazed Pineapples.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Critical Heart Changes For Successful Reconciliation.
- Kimber Yeargan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.