Who Are You?
If you haven’t, let me bring you up to speed.
Personality profile tests like these are questionnaires designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. In other words, the tests tell you who you are.
For instance the Myers-Briggs test people based on these four variables:
- Introvert versus Extravert
- Intuitive versus Sensing
- Thinking versus Feeling
- Judging versus Perceiving
The DiSC profile tests people on their levels of:
And, the StrengthsFinder tests people on 34 different attributes to determine a person’s top five strengths. I won’t list all 34, but a few examples are Responsibility, Communication, and Strategic.
Bored, yet? You probably are ... unless you’ve taken one of these tests. If you’ve taken a personality profile test, you understand what it feels like to have someone tell you who you are.
The results of my own tests reveal tons about me.
I’m an extrovert. Not new information to me. I tend to be a thinker more than a feeler. Again, the test hit the nail on the head. I have a dominant personality, confirmed by my results (and by my husband). I tend to gather facts and make decisions based on realistic expectations rather than stepping out into the unknown. I tend to influence others to follow my lead, which can be a good thing if I use my power for good, not evil! (Again, confirmed by my husband.)
These tests told me that I am responsible, that I am an achiever and that I am energized by being around people. Do you know what? The tests were right! And, it felt good to hear it. When those results declared who I am, I somehow felt known and understood. By naming my personality traits, those tests confirmed who I am.
Scripture says a day is coming when we as Christians will receive a new name, a name that will describe who we’ve been. A name that will sum up our character. A name given to us by Jesus, Himself. Check it out:
" ... and I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it” (Revelation 2:17b).
Throughout Scripture, names convey the character of the one bearing the name. Some theologians believe this new name will be the same for every Believer: the name of God on us. Yet, some theologians speculate that the new name will literally be a new name given to each person that describes our character, our journey with the Father, our level of faith. In short, a name that says who we are.
What name would Jesus give to you?
In that moment, don’t you want to be proud of the name He chooses? I mean, it wouldn’t be good if He whispered, “Sloth,” would it? Or “Apathetic?” No! I, for one, want Him to give me a name that indicates His great approval and love for me.
I want a name that screams my life-long devotion to Him.
The name Jesus chooses depends on us, really. It depends on who we choose to be. Let’s live our lives to earn a good name, a name that says we are known and understood and loved.
Who are you? Or, better yet, who does Jesus say you are?
CC Image • db Photography | Demi-Brooke on Flickr
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Two Hardest But Most Important Words A Leader Can Say.
- Marie Osborne published the blogpost Fall is for New Friends (also, pumpkin EVERYTHING!).
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.