Who Are You?
If you haven’t, let me bring you up to speed.
Personality profile tests like these are questionnaires designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. In other words, the tests tell you who you are.
For instance the Myers-Briggs test people based on these four variables:
- Introvert versus Extravert
- Intuitive versus Sensing
- Thinking versus Feeling
- Judging versus Perceiving
The DiSC profile tests people on their levels of:
And, the StrengthsFinder tests people on 34 different attributes to determine a person’s top five strengths. I won’t list all 34, but a few examples are Responsibility, Communication, and Strategic.
Bored, yet? You probably are ... unless you’ve taken one of these tests. If you’ve taken a personality profile test, you understand what it feels like to have someone tell you who you are.
The results of my own tests reveal tons about me.
I’m an extrovert. Not new information to me. I tend to be a thinker more than a feeler. Again, the test hit the nail on the head. I have a dominant personality, confirmed by my results (and by my husband). I tend to gather facts and make decisions based on realistic expectations rather than stepping out into the unknown. I tend to influence others to follow my lead, which can be a good thing if I use my power for good, not evil! (Again, confirmed by my husband.)
These tests told me that I am responsible, that I am an achiever and that I am energized by being around people. Do you know what? The tests were right! And, it felt good to hear it. When those results declared who I am, I somehow felt known and understood. By naming my personality traits, those tests confirmed who I am.
Scripture says a day is coming when we as Christians will receive a new name, a name that will describe who we’ve been. A name that will sum up our character. A name given to us by Jesus, Himself. Check it out:
" ... and I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it” (Revelation 2:17b).
Throughout Scripture, names convey the character of the one bearing the name. Some theologians believe this new name will be the same for every Believer: the name of God on us. Yet, some theologians speculate that the new name will literally be a new name given to each person that describes our character, our journey with the Father, our level of faith. In short, a name that says who we are.
What name would Jesus give to you?
In that moment, don’t you want to be proud of the name He chooses? I mean, it wouldn’t be good if He whispered, “Sloth,” would it? Or “Apathetic?” No! I, for one, want Him to give me a name that indicates His great approval and love for me.
I want a name that screams my life-long devotion to Him.
The name Jesus chooses depends on us, really. It depends on who we choose to be. Let’s live our lives to earn a good name, a name that says we are known and understood and loved.
Who are you? Or, better yet, who does Jesus say you are?
CC Image • db Photography | Demi-Brooke on Flickr
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.