Who Are You?
If you haven’t, let me bring you up to speed.
Personality profile tests like these are questionnaires designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. In other words, the tests tell you who you are.
For instance the Myers-Briggs test people based on these four variables:
- Introvert versus Extravert
- Intuitive versus Sensing
- Thinking versus Feeling
- Judging versus Perceiving
The DiSC profile tests people on their levels of:
And, the StrengthsFinder tests people on 34 different attributes to determine a person’s top five strengths. I won’t list all 34, but a few examples are Responsibility, Communication, and Strategic.
Bored, yet? You probably are ... unless you’ve taken one of these tests. If you’ve taken a personality profile test, you understand what it feels like to have someone tell you who you are.
The results of my own tests reveal tons about me.
I’m an extrovert. Not new information to me. I tend to be a thinker more than a feeler. Again, the test hit the nail on the head. I have a dominant personality, confirmed by my results (and by my husband). I tend to gather facts and make decisions based on realistic expectations rather than stepping out into the unknown. I tend to influence others to follow my lead, which can be a good thing if I use my power for good, not evil! (Again, confirmed by my husband.)
These tests told me that I am responsible, that I am an achiever and that I am energized by being around people. Do you know what? The tests were right! And, it felt good to hear it. When those results declared who I am, I somehow felt known and understood. By naming my personality traits, those tests confirmed who I am.
Scripture says a day is coming when we as Christians will receive a new name, a name that will describe who we’ve been. A name that will sum up our character. A name given to us by Jesus, Himself. Check it out:
" ... and I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it” (Revelation 2:17b).
Throughout Scripture, names convey the character of the one bearing the name. Some theologians believe this new name will be the same for every Believer: the name of God on us. Yet, some theologians speculate that the new name will literally be a new name given to each person that describes our character, our journey with the Father, our level of faith. In short, a name that says who we are.
What name would Jesus give to you?
In that moment, don’t you want to be proud of the name He chooses? I mean, it wouldn’t be good if He whispered, “Sloth,” would it? Or “Apathetic?” No! I, for one, want Him to give me a name that indicates His great approval and love for me.
I want a name that screams my life-long devotion to Him.
The name Jesus chooses depends on us, really. It depends on who we choose to be. Let’s live our lives to earn a good name, a name that says we are known and understood and loved.
Who are you? Or, better yet, who does Jesus say you are?
CC Image • db Photography | Demi-Brooke on Flickr
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.