Tears in Your Grape Juice: The Privilege of Servant Leadership
I have had the privilege of serving communion to the body of Irving Bible Church where I serve on pastoral staff. Twice. It never fails when I help serve the Lord’s Supper, that just a few minutes in, I end up a weepy mess. Surely you have had someone serve you a wafer and juice after they wiped their snot on their sleeve? It’s quite holy.
There are two main factors that lead to tears in your grape juice (Yes, we use grape juice and not wine for communion), both profound for me. First, the gravity of what I am saying hits me. While I serve I pause to say to each person, “This is the body of Christ, broken for you. This is the blood of Christ, shed for you.” As I repeat it and repeat it, the weight of what Christ did on the cross just moves me all over again. His body, broken. His blood, shed. For me.
And second, as I am saying these words I am looking into the eyes of people God has placed in our care, my care. I see the woman who has an awful marriage; the friend who came to my rescue; the woman who bugs me like crazy right after the woman who doesn’t like me at all. Looking into the eyes of each person forces me to see that Christ died for them, too, and I have the privilege of investing my leadership, my time, my skills, into them.
I have the privilege of serving others as I lead. And so do you.
You may think your job is about projects and meetings and big vision. It’s actually not about that at all. Our jobs are all about serving those we lead – helping them become the people God created them to be. As you lead, I hope you will remember the tears in my grape juice (and not the snot on my sleeve) and those in your influence you have the privilege to serve as you lead.
Julie Pierce has one big dream: to empower women leaders to change the world. In addition to founding Empowered by Pierce, she also serves as Communications Pastor on the Lead Team at Irving Bible Church in the Dallas area.
CC Image • TrustyPics on Flickr
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost There's trouble in Paradise... and I've lost interest.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor Scott & White hospitals planning to align with Cleveland Clinic.
- James Vest just moved in. Take time to say hey.