Tears in Your Grape Juice: The Privilege of Servant Leadership
I have had the privilege of serving communion to the body of Irving Bible Church where I serve on pastoral staff. Twice. It never fails when I help serve the Lord’s Supper, that just a few minutes in, I end up a weepy mess. Surely you have had someone serve you a wafer and juice after they wiped their snot on their sleeve? It’s quite holy.
There are two main factors that lead to tears in your grape juice (Yes, we use grape juice and not wine for communion), both profound for me. First, the gravity of what I am saying hits me. While I serve I pause to say to each person, “This is the body of Christ, broken for you. This is the blood of Christ, shed for you.” As I repeat it and repeat it, the weight of what Christ did on the cross just moves me all over again. His body, broken. His blood, shed. For me.
And second, as I am saying these words I am looking into the eyes of people God has placed in our care, my care. I see the woman who has an awful marriage; the friend who came to my rescue; the woman who bugs me like crazy right after the woman who doesn’t like me at all. Looking into the eyes of each person forces me to see that Christ died for them, too, and I have the privilege of investing my leadership, my time, my skills, into them.
I have the privilege of serving others as I lead. And so do you.
You may think your job is about projects and meetings and big vision. It’s actually not about that at all. Our jobs are all about serving those we lead – helping them become the people God created them to be. As you lead, I hope you will remember the tears in my grape juice (and not the snot on my sleeve) and those in your influence you have the privilege to serve as you lead.
Julie Pierce has one big dream: to empower women leaders to change the world. In addition to founding Empowered by Pierce, she also serves as Communications Pastor on the Lead Team at Irving Bible Church in the Dallas area.
CC Image • TrustyPics on Flickr
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.