Ready to Help
When I was given the opportunity to go on a Honduras mission trip, going to the maternity ward was the part I was the most nervous about. I remember on the drive to the hospital I kept worrying to myself, “What could I possibly do to help these people. I can’t even talk to them.” As soon as we set foot at the hospital, I had this immediate feeling of comfort and a confidence that at that moment I was doing exactly what God wanted me to be doing.
When we went around to the different girls to witness, it was the most amazing thing to see these girls listening to us and taking in what we had to say. We met many women, each with their own story and struggles. After hearing what some of them were going through, like not being able to see their baby for days, losing a child, or being stricken with illness, it made any problem I had ever faced seem so small and irrelevant compared to theirs.
We were able to collect personal items for the mothers and babies and pack them into care bags that we gave to each mother along with a Bible. Each woman received a bag and they were so grateful for what we had to offer. Some of these women had nothing for their babies, not even clothes to bring them home in, so it was great to know that we could help.
There was one particular woman that we met who I will never forget. She came to the hospital expecting to have one child, but was surprised to find out she would be having twins. On top of all that, she had to have a caesarean section with no anesthesia! Now I can’t even begin to imagine the shock she was going through because I know if I was in her shoes I would have been a nervous wreck.
She was the calmest, kindest, most beautiful, loving, and grateful woman I’ve ever met, even after enduring all that she had been through. We were able to visit her both days at the hospital, and the thing that was so touching was that when we came back the second day, we came in her room while she was reading the Bible we had given her. It was like getting to see the fruits of your labor right in front of your eyes.
Being able to witness to these women and just show them some kindness and compassion was a life changing experience that I will forever be grateful to have experienced. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think and pray for these beautiful people, and I can only pray that your lives are touched just as mine was. Romans 12:13 is such a simple verse, yet it holds so much power and truth.
When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Romans 12:13
For more information, visit www.xmaonline.com.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Should You Keep Teaching After You Start a Family?.
- Felicia Crawford just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Sheridan Voysey published the blogpost Don’t Just Apologise, Make Amends (My BBC Radio 2 Spot).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost [Studies] How to Handle Cursing In The Workplace – Julia Winston.
- C Drury just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Amber Soares created a new gallery
- Amber Soares just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.