A Peek At My Prayer Life
Have you ever caught yourself falling asleep while you were praying?
Does your mind ever wander to completely unrelated subjects while you pray, like the grocery list, the meeting you will attend later in the day, or some TV show you forgot to TiVo?
Or, do you find that you just don’t know what to pray about?
Uh, me too.
It’s called being human. Welcome to reality.
I used to beat myself up about my lack of focus and my lack of a desire to actually talk to God. That is, until I started keeping a journal. Writing my prayers down keeps me focused on the task at hand and, even better, provides me with a written record of God’s activity in my life.
Here are a few of the questions I ask myself before I pray:
- What Scripture has God used to speak to me lately?
- How have I experienced God lately?
- What adjustments do I feel God is calling me to make?
- Who needs my prayers?
Then, I simply talk with God. No “thee’s” and “thou’s.” I just ask Him to explain things to me and talk with Him about what He wants from my life. It’s not rocket science. It’s not even very eloquent. I don’t put on any airs.
Sometimes I write out my prayer. Other times, I just make bullet points. Every few months, I find it incredibly helpful to look back over my journal. You’d be surprised at what you see. I have been. Often, I don’t see the forest for the trees. Reviewing my journal entries gives me a bird’s-eye view on my relationship with God.
That’s my prayer life. My mind tends to wander to all the things I want to accomplish in the day, so I need a way to focus my attention if I want to “stay alert and be persistent” in my prayers, like Ephesians 6:18 teaches. So, my trusty journal helps me sharpen my prayer life.
So, what holds you back from a prayer life that you could be happy about? Figure it out and develop a solution. It’s worth it ... and you need it!
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘The Guest’- And You Thought Your Relatives were Bad.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Shari Miller @ Living To Leave A Legacy.
- Steve Perky published the blogpost How Can The Church Keep Up With The Changing Dimensions of Information? [Video].
- Kim Cedrick Matiga just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Pre-order @MaxLucado’s BEFORE AMEN and receive a FREE book.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The latest Quilts of Love release - Hidden in the Stars - out today!.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.