A Peek At My Prayer Life
Have you ever caught yourself falling asleep while you were praying?
Does your mind ever wander to completely unrelated subjects while you pray, like the grocery list, the meeting you will attend later in the day, or some TV show you forgot to TiVo?
Or, do you find that you just don’t know what to pray about?
Uh, me too.
It’s called being human. Welcome to reality.
I used to beat myself up about my lack of focus and my lack of a desire to actually talk to God. That is, until I started keeping a journal. Writing my prayers down keeps me focused on the task at hand and, even better, provides me with a written record of God’s activity in my life.
Here are a few of the questions I ask myself before I pray:
- What Scripture has God used to speak to me lately?
- How have I experienced God lately?
- What adjustments do I feel God is calling me to make?
- Who needs my prayers?
Then, I simply talk with God. No “thee’s” and “thou’s.” I just ask Him to explain things to me and talk with Him about what He wants from my life. It’s not rocket science. It’s not even very eloquent. I don’t put on any airs.
Sometimes I write out my prayer. Other times, I just make bullet points. Every few months, I find it incredibly helpful to look back over my journal. You’d be surprised at what you see. I have been. Often, I don’t see the forest for the trees. Reviewing my journal entries gives me a bird’s-eye view on my relationship with God.
That’s my prayer life. My mind tends to wander to all the things I want to accomplish in the day, so I need a way to focus my attention if I want to “stay alert and be persistent” in my prayers, like Ephesians 6:18 teaches. So, my trusty journal helps me sharpen my prayer life.
So, what holds you back from a prayer life that you could be happy about? Figure it out and develop a solution. It’s worth it ... and you need it!
- Kelley Mathews published the article What If Your Kids Don’t Think Christianity is Cool?.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Granny Skewers a Scoundrel by Julie Seedorf.
- Gary Thomas published the blogpost How to have more energy for your marriage and family.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ESPN rolls cameras as Baylor alums’ 12-year-old son’s dream comes true.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 5 Ways Churches Fail At Social Media & How To Do It Well.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 23rd: Spiritual Leadership In A Secular Age: Building Bridges Instead Of Barriers http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827234619
- Jerry Jarrett just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Pete HouptThen call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory. (NLT) -Psalm 50:15
Who do you run to when you are in trouble? Perhaps your spouse, parents, or a good friend? The problem with these people is they are human and can't always rescue you or know what is best for you. God says he will rescue you... not maybe, not perhaps, but He WILL rescue you. How comforting it is to know God has your back. It's only fitting we respond with thankfulness and give God the honor He deserves. Are you in trouble? Then call on the Lord, He will be there.
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 23rd Only! Leaving, Staying, and Becoming Well Following a Lose/Leave Conflict in Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BO0L8SS
- George BullardJuly 23rd: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another the Right Questions #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-23rd-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-the-right-questions-365ssiftc.html
- Kayla Bentz uploaded a photo
- Kayla Bentz created a new gallery
- Mitzi Smith published the blogpost 10 BEST Back to School Movies for Family Fun Night.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost George W. Bush’s knee surgery highlights fast joint replacement options.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 10 Things I’d Do Differently if I Weren’t a Pastor Today.
- Kayla Bentz just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children 12 And Under Are Fastest Growing Group Of Unaccompanied Minors At U.S. Border.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: 15 Sites and Apps Kids Are Heading to Beyond Facebook.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might Be Better Than Eight.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Help for Couples Recovering from Adultery or Pornography: Video Tandem 8 of 9.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 52 Great Questions to Ask Your Direct Reports – Glenn Brooke.
- Jody Martin just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Moses – The Circumstance Driven Leader.
- John Bucher published the blogpost MY LATEST on HBO’s SITE at WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.COM.
- Joni Foto just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- John Rutledge published the article Obama’s LGBT Federal Hiring Order Leaves Bush-era Religious Exemption in Place.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Because of Jesus Christ, There Is Always Joyous Hope by Debbie Harris.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Watch Hope Unfold in the Lives of Four Extraordinary People.
- Kelley Mathews published the video The Best Yes Small Group Bible Study | Lysa TerKeurst.
- Lindsey Wickman uploaded a photo
- Lindsey Wickman created a new gallery
- Lindsey Wickman just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost Is Christianity harder than than we pretend it is?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Tallest man in Canada stars as Goliath in upcoming ‘David and Goliath’ film.