One Thing You Can Do Today to Make Your Organization More Creative
There is one very easy, very simple, and very affordable way for your organization to get more creative, more innovative, and more on vision – and it can happen in the next 24 hours, if you so desire:
As creative professionals, we tend to try really hard to protect the creative process. When we do this, it limits our ability to truly help our organizatons.
Alicia Arenas, founder and CEO of Sanera, The People Development Company, is a distinguished business consultant, coach, corporate facilitator and speaker. Alicia has been quoted saying:
“The core of diversity lies in understanding that we are better performers, better leaders, better service providers and better people when we surround ourselves with those who are different from us. However, the reality is that most adults are more comfortable with people who are just like them.”
Leaders – when we do not include the crazy creatives in some of our decisions, we are missing an element that keeps us from being our best.
Creatives – when we do not engage the rest of our organizations and their ideas, we limit not only our influence, but also our ability to impact the greater good of our organization.
Simply – when we create diverse environments, we all are much better. Diversity creates opportunity.
Do you want to get diverse? It is not as difficult as you would think:
- Start inviting people into conversations. That simple. Bring in people who are not normally part of your “world”. They will provide a unique lens and filter to your situation.
- Destroy Silos. Silos limit potential and cripple organizations. The more cross pollination that we have, the better our organizations will be. Silo busting is hard work because people who build silos built them like Fort Knox. But, when VISION and MISSION are the driving force and not method or agenda, it removes a lot of the need for a silo.
- Find Backstory. Just because someone works in one department today may not mean they ALWAYS have worked in that department. You may have hidden “consultants” inside your organization that have the ability to pull info and ideas from experienced people. Finding out about peoples past creates great options for leaders.
- Create Community Culture. Diversity thrives when community is developed. Find ways inside your normal work week to create spaces, times, and events where people from different fields interact and form relationship. The stronger the relationships your teams have, the better work place you create. Also, when people have a relationship with each other they are more willing to work and fight for each other.
- Lead with vision. Simple concept, but not as simple to execute. It takes intentionality, culture, and good leadership to keep everyone on not only the same page, but the RIGHT same page.
Do you work in a diverse environment? What are some ways you have found to cross bridges inside of your organizations?
Stephen Brewster is the Creative Arts Pastor at Cross Point Community Church. Passionate about creativity, leadership, church and how those live together. Dad and husband. Follow Stephen on Twitter at @b_rewster.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.