The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal
by Sandy Ralya
How to Use This Journal
If you’re anything like me, you want a great marriage but you aren’t always willing to take the steps and do the hard work needed to produce the beautiful results you desire. You want fruit without pruning, perfume without petal-crushing, fitness without sweat . . . you get the picture.
But maybe, just maybe, you have reached a point where you’re craving more and are willing to try something new in order to experience different results. I came to that point over twenty years ago. When my marriage was in trouble, I walked into church each Sunday morning desperate for help, but not daring to ask for it because everyone else’s marriage seemed so perfect. My life appeared beautiful on the outside, but on the inside it was a mess. over time, I turned to God by reading the Bible and praying. I began candidly sharing about my problems with trusted friends, godly mentors, and wise Christian counselors, seeking their guidance.
What I learned during that time transformed my life, and then God did an amazing work in my marriage. The loving support that I received from other women on my journey inspired me to become the founder and director of Beautiful Womanhood, a Christian mentoring ministry for wives.
Beautiful Womanhood began in 2003 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, when I held the first Beautiful Womanhood seminar. I shared my personal testimony of how mentoring strengthened me—and eventually strengthened my marriage. Since then, I have shared my testimony at many events every year, and women around the world have participated in Beautiful Womanhood small groups.
The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal is a place to chronicle all you will learn on your journey through The Beautiful Wife. In each chapter of this prayer journal, you will find prayers for you, your husband, and your marriage.
Space is also provided for you to journal your response to reflection questions and Scriptures that will deepen your understanding of God’s Word as it relates to you and your marriage. If you are attending a Beautiful Womanhood small group where The Beautiful Wife is being read and discussed, you are not at all obligated to use The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal. But if you choose to use it, it will deepen your personal understanding of the material and enrich your knowledge of all that God desires to reveal to you about His wonderful plans for you and your marriage.
Each chapter in this journal should be completed after reading the corresponding chapter in The Beautiful Wife. For example, after reading chapter 1 in The Beautiful Wife, you would complete chapter 1 in The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal, and so on. In some cases, you’ll just begin a response, and then add to it as the weeks go by, such as page 8, where you will list your husband’s prayer requests, or page 16, where you will list verses through which God is speaking to you. Your journal entries should be made during a time of quiet reflection at home, before meeting with your Beautiful
Womanhood small group. Sharing from this journal is not mandatory for group participation. You may choose to take your journal along, in case you feel led to share an entry with the group, or you may use it solely for personal introspection.
- Pray the prayer found in the beginning of each chapter. Journal any inspiration or challenges this prayer evokes.
- Journal honestly and prayerfully in response to each question. Remember that sharing what you write with the group is not mandatory. What you write here is primarily for your own benefit.
- Construct a response to the Scripture verses listed for each chapter. When journaling your responses, ask yourself if you are following the Bible’s instruction and, if not, why? Make a list of small steps you could take to obey God’s Word and experience better results in your life and marriage.
- Fashion the listed Scripture verses into prayers. Personalize the passages for greater impact. When you lack the strength or creativity to voice your own prayers, it’s a blessing to borrow from Scripture.
How to Use This Journal
So many passages in the Bible can be used to pray for yourself, your husband, and your marriage. (Examples are included with each chapter.) God honors His Word and causes it to accomplish all He wants! His Word always produces fruit (Isaiah 55:11).
That said, it’s important to note that taking Scripture out of context or citing verses for selfish purposes is a bad idea and won’t profit you. Instead, focus on forming prayers from Scripture that edify your spirit, instruct you in the things of God, and benefit your husband. When gathering applicable verses, an easy online resource for looking up a key word or searching for a specific topic is www.biblegateway.com.
- Record prayer requests for your life and marriage that are related to the topic of each chapter. Make sure to come back to these pages and record how and when these prayers are answered. Rereading answers to prayer will increase your faith in God.
- Keep reviewing and rereading your journal entries! Doing so heightens an understanding of your weaknesses and need for God, and prevents a lot of aimless wandering and confusion. As you fill it with honest reflections, this journal will become a go-to source of personal marital wisdom.
- After chronicling your journey through all twelve chapters, refer back to this journal throughout the life of your marriage. Take time to recognize and be encouraged by God’s faithfulness when you consider how far He has brought you. As you read and reread your responses, I pray you will be inspired to see yourself in a new light, or will be motivated to take new steps in a different direction than you’ve been heading.
When desiring better results in your life and marriage, it’s important to take new steps—such as journaling. Change isn’t easy, but it’s worth any effort you invest. Whether you’re working through this prayer journal on your own, or using it in addition to your discussion within a Beautiful Womanhood small group, I believe you’ll find loving encouragement to go the distance with your husband. Motivate yourself to make this investment by picturing the deeper intimacy with God and your husband you would like to experience. As you invest precious time journaling and praying, expect to receive fresh insights about what it means to be a beautiful wife, and God-given answers to your prayers.
You’ll experience a rite of passage within this prayer journal that will mark your progress as you journey toward becoming a beautiful wife who is focused on God and is experiencing greater fulfillment in her marriage. May the Holy Spirit’s power fill you and work through you to fulfill all the plans God has for you and your marriage. Let’s begin!
Equipping for the Journey
Pray this prayer every day for at least one week, inserting your husband’s name in the blank. Journal your daily reflections below.
Dear God, thank You for __________. Help me to see him the way You do. Encourage my husband to love You with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength. Remind me to turn to You first when I don’t know what to do. Help me to worship
You as I should. As I read the Bible and pray, help me to understand my role as a wife. Fill me with patience as I wait for Your guidance and answers to my prayers. Please give me the courage to share openly and honestly with the women who surround me so I can be strengthened with love, purpose, and hope. In Jesus’ name, amen.
List your husband’s prayer requests, and pray for them regularly. When they are answered, record how and when.
My Husband’s Prayer Requests -- Answers to Prayer
Equipping for the Journey
List your prayer requests for your husband, and pray for them regularly. Keep a record of God’s answers.
My Prayers for My Husband -- Answers to Prayer
His strengths used for God’s glory
His weaknesses strengthened/healed
Godly friends who will encourage
The Beautiful Wife Prayer Journal
Write down any prayer requests you may have. In particular, do you have any prayer requests related to turning to God, understanding your role as wife, and sharing within a community of women? Remember to come back and note each answer to these prayers.
My Prayer Requests -- Answers to Prayer
Equipping for the Journey
Memorize Psalm 119:35. Journal your response. Put in writing your response to God’s Word when thinking about yourself and your marriage.
Over the next few weeks, list Scripture verses that describe God’s attributes. Begin with the letter “a” and move through the alphabet. Reading and rereading these verses will cause your trust in Him to grow. Add to this list as you discover more about our wonderful God. Form each verse into a prayer of praise by using the following illustration as a guide.
A Amazing (1 Chronicles 16:24): Lord, You perform glorious deeds among the nations. I will tell everyone about the amazing things You do!
B Blessing-Giver (Ephesians 1:3): I praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed me with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because I belong to Christ.
List verses to pray for your husband; insert his name where appropriate. Example: Psalm 1:2— May __________ delight in doing everything You want, Lord; day and night may he think about Your law.
List verses of encouragement through which God speaks to you; personalize them where appropriate.
Example: Colossians 3:16—Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in my heart and make me wise.
Excerpted from The Beautiful Wife's Prayer Journal with permission
Copyright © 2012 by Sandy Ralya
- Blake Atwood shared 7 Mobile Apps for Church Social Media Directors: Check out Darrel Girardier's favorite mobile apps for social media: "If you're like me, you can't be confined to your desk and run social media for your church. You need mobile tools that allow you to quickly capture what's happening and feed it to your social media channels. Here's a quick list of tools that I use to get the job done."
- Stephen Morrissey published the blogpost Church Social Media (Part 2): Social Media Foundations.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost A word on literary affairs, time online, & making culture.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost AP Smears Trail Life Boys With Misleading ‘Nazi’ Photo.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Monetize on Your Blog With Affiliate Marketing – Courtney Gordner.
- George BullardMarch 7th: Transform Congregations By Discovering the Invisible Signs #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-7th-transform-congregations-by-discovering-the-invisible-signs-365ssiftc.html
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentor Program Deadline, Mentors are Vital for Success, Restoring the Dignity of Work.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Miscarriages, Parenting, and How to Find Hope Through It All.
- Barry Sudduth just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Juli Fischer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Barbara Cameron talks about her latest release, A Road Unknown.
- Aaron Smith published the blogpost Your Love Never Fails (Anthony Skinner and Chris McClarney).
- Megan Westra published the blogpost Fluffy, Delicious, Protein Pancakes (gluten, dairy and refined sugar free).
- Blake AtwoodTalking to IBC!
- Kelley Mathews published the article Adoption: Giving A Family, Not Just Getting A Child.