3 Compounds that Burn Belly Fat
New research is revealing that the secret to weight loss may be more complex than “eat less, move more." The key may be an enzyme called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) that is found in blueberries, grapefruit, green tea and cayenne peppers. AMPK’s helps your body utilize sugar which results in boosting your metabolism resulting in weight loss.
AMPK is generally activated during exercise to help muscles use stored sugar and fat for energy. But, AMPK can also be activated by food. The secret to activating the power of AMPK is by including foods that contain polyphenols, nootkatone, and capsaicin all of which activate this fat-burning enzyme.
Polyphenols are antioxidants found in a variety of foods including tea, coffee, vegetables, and chocolate. A powerful polyphenol that has been shown to activate AMPK is called resveratrol and is found in the skin of red grapes and blueberries. Resveratrol can help decrease the development of fat cells and can reduce fat tissue in rats on a high fat diet.
If you having difficulty losing weight, you may want to consider a resveratrol supplement which can help reduce inflammation and may help with weight loss. Or increase your intake of foods high in resveratrol such as red grapes and blueberries. If you are going to drink, choose red wine for the extra resveratrol boost. Remember though, calories do count some, so drinking more wine to try to lose weight will not result in weight loss, just excess calorie consumption.
Nootkatone a component found in grapefruit has been shown to significantly increase fat-burning (AMPK) activity. Nootkatone also increases calorie burn and reduces stomach fat accumulation in rats. Consider grapefruit as vitamin C- rich snack, add grapefruit slices to a spinach salad, or even into an immune-boosting smoothie.
Capsaicin, found in cayenne pepper, can increase calories burned after consumption. A study in the British Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that when subjects consumed capsaicin for weight maintenance, fat oxidation (the breakdown of fat) was increased. Capsaicin may also stimulate the production of AMPK, leading to further breakdown of fat. Try adding cayenne pepper to recipes like chicken tenders for an extra fat-burning effect or try a detox drink with cayenne pepper.
If you are having difficulty losing weight, adding some fat-burning foods may be key. Also, remember, to get less calories from grains, sugars, and carbohydrates and more from vegetables, berries, grapefruit, nuts, seeds, organic meat and raw dairy.
- Weight loss may not be as straight forward as “calories in vs. calories out."
- An enzyme called AMPK, which helps the body use fat and glucose, may also play a role in helping in weight loss.
- Certain foods can activate AMPK, including resveratrol, nootkatone, and capsaicin.
- Consume Blueberries, Resveratrol Supplements, Green Tea, Grapefruit, Hot Peppers, and Cayenne Pepper for fat burning fuel.
- Try to increase your intake of these “fat burning” foods by replacing other less ideal foods in your diet for optimal weight loss.
CC Photo by brx0
Find more content like this in Imago Wellness Center.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.
- Brad RussellLots of Lenten posts from our blog community, make sure you check some of them out.
- Blake Atwood published the article 'Warfare in the Old Testament' | Boyd Seevers [Book Review].
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Cross of Christ Declares that God Understands my Suffering.
- Blake Atwood shared 7 Mobile Apps for Church Social Media Directors: Check out Darrel Girardier's favorite mobile apps for social media: "If you're like me, you can't be confined to your desk and run social media for your church. You need mobile tools that allow you to quickly capture what's happening and feed it to your social media channels. Here's a quick list of tools that I use to get the job done."
- Stephen Morrissey published the blogpost Church Social Media (Part 2): Social Media Foundations.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost A word on literary affairs, time online, & making culture.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost AP Smears Trail Life Boys With Misleading ‘Nazi’ Photo.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Monetize on Your Blog With Affiliate Marketing – Courtney Gordner.
- George BullardMarch 7th: Transform Congregations By Discovering the Invisible Signs #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-7th-transform-congregations-by-discovering-the-invisible-signs-365ssiftc.html
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentor Program Deadline, Mentors are Vital for Success, Restoring the Dignity of Work.