4 Choices to Make While Dealing with Disappointment
I don’t care if it’s the day after an election or the middle of a seemingly ordinary year. Somewhere along the line and in varying degrees we will be faced with disappointment.
Let downs come in hundreds and thousands of shapes and sizes. The set back I deal with today actually has nothing at all to do with the election. Sometimes we can commiserate with one another, other times we are left solely alone with our shattered feelings. Whatever setback you are facing what are some healthy choices we can make in dealing with disappointment?
I’ve narrowed my healthy choices down to four:
Take a few hours. A day. Maybe a short vacation. Whatever timeframe is needed, a true pause is critical. I hear that in Europe they take daily afternoon pauses. Three to four hours worth. They don’t feel guilty about this either. They recognize the health behind it. As Americans we haven’t figured this out yet. Not sure if we ever will.
Where does the disappointment come from? What is the root? Was the let down within my control or out of my control? Was there an oversight on my part? How can I do things different next time? Where might I have been guilty, arrogant, innocent, or naive? How can I now take personal responsibility? What decisions do I need to make from here on out that will allow my soul to sing again?
3) Move on.
Get up, put your pants on and head out the door. The sun will rise and the sun will set until Jesus returns and disappointment will be no more. Life is what it is. Some things we can change, a lot we cannot. As we move forward we pursue the things we do have control over. We move on one step at a time.
4) Go buy another ice cream cone.
Life’s too short. Lick it and love it while you've got it balanced on the cone.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
What healthy choices do you make in dealing with disappointment or set backs?
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Paul and Barnabas Discipleship Continued.
- Jennifer Collins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Doris SwiftOur greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.” ― D.L. Moody
- Doris SwiftEmerge from ordinary into extraordinary; rise above, set apart, walking in the plan as He directs the steps...
- Doris SwiftIf you're feeling stuck in your writing journey~remember, every new idea-every word written propels you forward
- Jon StallingsIf we focus our prayers just on Jesus delivering us from the trials of life, we have set up our own life as an idol
- Melcome Feldspar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Shouldn't All Christians Be Universalists At Heart?.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.
- Brad RussellLots of Lenten posts from our blog community, make sure you check some of them out.
- Blake Atwood published the article 'Warfare in the Old Testament' | Boyd Seevers [Book Review].