The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor profs honored for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 4 Ways to Say No to Multitasking and Yes to Productivity.
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Ways to Say 'No' to Multitasking and 'Yes' to Productivity.
- Lori Minutoli published the blogpost The Defining Moment Between Attraction and Sexual Sin for the Christian.