The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- David Buller published the blogpost Holy Week: As Jesus was dying, here is what he taught.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Alum’s book captures first responders’ stories from West.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Birthing Truth: Day 17 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost What Happens when Parents and Kids see Youth Group as Simply an Elective?.
- Holli Long published the blogpost My Summer Reading List and “Carry On, Warrior” Giveaway.
- Amy-Jo Girardier published the blogpost #faithfulone A sneak look at the DVD component of the new girls biblestudy.
- Clarence FellTime and Chance
Life is undeniably a gift from God, but this does not mean that it will unfold exactly as we desire. When we give gifts, unplanned things may happen. The warning every child hears when receiving a BB gun as a gift, is about shooting an eye out. We give gifts with the best of intentions, but life is too complicated for us to control how it unfolds. Solomon said it this way, “time and chance happen to everyone,” (Eccl. 9:11). This does not mean that the gift is flawed. It just means that we do not control every detail of life. It means that people have the ability to make their own decision. In the process of making decisions, some people make poor decisions. The only way life could function flawlessly is for God to take away our ability to make choices. I do not think any of us want God to turn us into preprogrammed little robots. That leaves us with our current situation, God gave us the gift of life and many people misuse that gift. This means that sometimes we will be in the wrong place at the wrong time when someone else makes a bad choice and we will suffer.
- Sheryl LongleyRemember there are always people ahead of you, to encourage you and show you the way.. And there is always people behind you,, you can encourage and show the way! :)
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWALKING THE CROSS IN THE MIDST OF “DANGER”
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasBREAKTHROUGH IN BROTHELS
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWE HAVE OFFICALLY STARTED BROTHEL OUTREACH!!!
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasCAN GOD USE “UNQUALIFIED” PEOPLE TO REACH OTHERS?
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasLOOKING LIKE A FOOL PRODUCES FRUIT
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasWHO WILL REACH THE ADDICTS?
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasIT IS EASY TO REACH OUT TO MUSLIMS!
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasREACHING THE SEX INDUSTRY
- Kyle Jenkins > Reaching Unreached Peoples in DallasDALLAS OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES
- sheryl longley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- jerry Chancey just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost MercyMe soars on latest album ‘Welcome To The New’.
- Perry HancockNOW ACCEPTING YOUR STORIES!!! Launch Date - April 21. 124go.com Please share with everyone. Thank you.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Francesca Battistelli’s new album ‘If We’re Honest’ in entirety.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost Book Proposals, Writing Festivals, & the Miracle of Process.