The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- raveena chandra just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].