The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.
- Brad RussellLots of Lenten posts from our blog community, make sure you check some of them out.
- Blake Atwood published the article 'Warfare in the Old Testament' | Boyd Seevers [Book Review].
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Cross of Christ Declares that God Understands my Suffering.
- Blake Atwood shared 7 Mobile Apps for Church Social Media Directors: Check out Darrel Girardier's favorite mobile apps for social media: "If you're like me, you can't be confined to your desk and run social media for your church. You need mobile tools that allow you to quickly capture what's happening and feed it to your social media channels. Here's a quick list of tools that I use to get the job done."
- Stephen Morrissey published the blogpost Church Social Media (Part 2): Social Media Foundations.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost A word on literary affairs, time online, & making culture.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost AP Smears Trail Life Boys With Misleading ‘Nazi’ Photo.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Monetize on Your Blog With Affiliate Marketing – Courtney Gordner.
- George BullardMarch 7th: Transform Congregations By Discovering the Invisible Signs #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-7th-transform-congregations-by-discovering-the-invisible-signs-365ssiftc.html
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentor Program Deadline, Mentors are Vital for Success, Restoring the Dignity of Work.