The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Dwayne Robinson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The old maid and her old lady hoarder hobby - with product reviews.
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Make a Wish: Setting One-Year Bucket List Intentions.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents’ Primer on Internet Pornography – UPDATED!.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Does New ‘Fight Church’ Documentary Hit Below the Belt?.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Busyness and Productivity Set on Sale at WTS Books – Today Only.
- Brad Russell published the article Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor study brings national attention to potential for cell phone addiction.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Is your child safety seat installed correctly? [video].
- Matt Reed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Leaving Liberty by Virginia Carmichael.
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Leaders – How well are you getting people grounded in the faith?.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Friday Soul Food: Jen Michel’s Teach Us to Want and the Conversion of Our Desires.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 85% Of Millennials In The US (18-24) Own Smartphones.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Attack, Hospitalize Innocent Man For Doing Good.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Getting High A Little Less Often; No One Knows Why.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Quit People Pleasing – Balance Around the Blogosphere & Linkup.