The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Should You Keep Teaching After You Start a Family?.
- Felicia Crawford just moved in. Take time to say hey.