The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Brooke Barrett just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- James Calkins published the blogpost Brief Update - Exciting But Short, Like a Shotgun Wedding, But Not Really.
- Janelle Weibelzahl published the blogpost So This Is Canada: 12 Unguarded Observations of a Returning Canadian.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Daddy and Daughter Dance to "Shake it Off".
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Alcohol Causes More Problems Than Marijuana for High School Students.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Smoke Marijuana Daily Face Increased Risks.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Christy Fitzwater | Maybe You’ve Forgotten Where to Find Peace.
- Mike Arden just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Things Big Difference: Week Two - "Fix Your Thoughts".
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 8th.
- Cathy Bryant published the blogpost Book Review: Lessons in Faith–Learned the Hard Way.
- Alli Bonner just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost John Mark McMillan to release The Borderland Sessions Sept. 30.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents To Blame For Brutal Teen Mob Parking Lot Attack?.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Still Saturday::to fill with stories that matter....
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Meaning of the Resurrection for Believers and the Need to Finish the Great Commission.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost In Business Relationships, People are Friends, Not Food – Daniel Kosmala.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost It's the one thing I'm sure I can be without fail....
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Nothing is Impossible. I Feel Like I’m Unstoppable.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Is The Walls Group the flyest Gospel group out there or what!?.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- John Rutledge published the article Big Churches, Big Bucks: Southern Senior Pastors Take Top Salaries.