The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Blessings, Moments, and Love Around the Blogosphere.
- Brad Russell published the article 'New Monasticism' | Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove [Book Review].
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Nils Smith published the blogpost My Interview with William Vanderbloemen discussing NEXT.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost My Reflections on the Events in Ferguson in Light of Miroslav Volf.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The App That Will Change How You Do Youth Ministry.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost One Vital Question that will Transform Your Teaching.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Use This Automation Hack to Archive Your Social Media Life – Reade Milner.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Of The Biggest Lies Students Hear Before They Get To College.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 40 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From When The Game Stands Tall.
- Eric Arch just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost Christ at the Center of Confidence: 1 John 4:13-21.
- DrDebi Smith published the blogpost 3 Things You Can Do When the Man You Love Gets Off Track.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: pray for peace, then work for it with all your might.
- Marie Osborne published the blogpost Redeem Your Feed: 3 Positive Ways Christians Can Use Social Media.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost No. 10 Baylor football opens 2014 with highest preseason ranking since 1957.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost What critics are saying about Amy Grants remix project.
- Heather Riggleman published the blogpost Quinoa & Black Beans with Butternut Squash – A perfect fall recipe.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost When you say I can’t wear a bikini, this is what you’re also saying… .
- Kelley Mathews published the article Great Programs + Zero Personal Contact = Swing and a Miss!.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Millennials: Bringing Back Entrepreneurship in America.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Ordinary Miracles: Awakening to the Holy Work of Parenting' [Review].
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost High School and Middle School, Oh My! – Back To School 2014.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost The scoop on salt: You’re probably eating too much.