The Empire of Entitlement
There are few things that threaten my ability to live and lead in humility like a spirit of entitlement.
In today’s culture, it’s really easy to get caught up inside of what’s been called the “empire of entitlement.” Inside of this empire I start to think . . .
- Life should revolve around ME.
- Relationships are about meeting MY needs.
- Fruitful ministry is the result of MY effort.
- The things I have are because of MY hard work.
In this empire of entitlement I lose awareness that EVERYTHING is a gift, and it becomes so easy to lose perspective on just how much I have.
I have to be very careful, especially when things are going well, that I don’t live inside of the delusions of this empire for long. As soon as I start to believe that I have what I have because of MY hard work, it quickly leads to all kinds of unhealthy extremes. When I sense myself drifting in this direction, I have to remind myself of Scriptures like this one in Deuteronomy. Moses warning is so relevant to many of us today. Especially those of us in leadership.
14 "Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that He led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath."
Who did it?
Who grew it?
Who led it?
Who inspired the idea?
Who got you through the crisis?
Who took it to the next level?
He did. As in, not you.
So today as we seek to lead and love, let us all remember this simple truth: There is a God and it’s not you. Abandon your power and control for humility and surrender. Today may we fall so in love with Jesus that we are ready to follow him wherever he guides, always trusting that, with him, we will find life and find it abundantly.
Do you ever struggle inside of this “empire of entitlement,” forgetting it’s God who gives you the power to accomplish what you accomplish and gain all that you gain?
CC Image • jbelluch on Flickr
- Cathy Roberts just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Billy Coffey shares a gripping tale about the destructive nature of secrets and regret.
- Tyger Burch just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Church Membership Matters - Church Membership Matters.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Chosen - Part 5 - Why Evangelize if God Elects? - Chosen.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 1 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 2 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Jesus - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Church - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Preaching - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Healing - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- Clarence FellThe cross was not about improving your earthly life. Jesus was not trying to save you from earthly discomforts. In fact, He warned that following Him could make your earthly life worse, (Matt. 10:35-36). Jesus had something far greater than earthly life in view in His ministry. What do you think He was looking to?
- Darlene Cook uploaded a photo
- Reinaldo de Sousa just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Darlene Cook created a new gallery
- Darlene Cook just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jon StallingsMy sermon from Sunday Leaving Egypt | @ Life Church
When the Israelites left Egypt to head to the Promise Land they left their thoughts and hearts back in Egypt as slaves. No matter how much God blessed them they still longed to go back.
It would take Jesus Christ to be our Redeemer who would finally lead us out of the bondage to sin, our personal Egypt. The question is, do we really want to leave? http://buff.ly/1g2GaZe
- chamaigne lyons just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Allen Mendez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jon StallingsReligion can be bad, & a lot of people hate it. But stop complaining and tell me the positive side of how you follow Jesus.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami.
- Roxanne Alexandra Morgan created a new gallery
- Roxanne Alexandra Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents Are Warned Phone Addiction Could Damage Bond With Their Child.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost The cool kids are all wearing these Franciscan T-shirts.
- Mike Mack shared Why Many American Small Groups (and Churches) Fail to Reproduce: What do you think of the three reasons I discussed here? Agree? Disagree?