'Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole' [Review]
At a job I once held at a civilian agency within the Federal government, my manager had held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Marines. When I left the Government for a position in private industry, he gave me a cross pen decorated with a USMC medallion as a going away present. As impressive as the pen may have been, it was the card he included which really blew me away. In it, he wrote that while I might not have thought of myself as military material due to my size and stature, he believed I would have made a great Marine because he had observed me display such traits as loyalty, courage and determination. Through his words, my old boss had re-defined for me what it meant to be a Marine.
What It Means To Be A Man
In the same vein, Eric Mason seeks to bring us back to the core of what it means to be a man. In the book, "Manhood, Restored," Pastor Mason squarely identifies the crisis of leadership we see in the Church today as a parallel to what we see in the larger society—namely, the absence of men grounded in solid Biblical principles and groomed for leadership. Pastor Mason knows that of which he speaks—in his younger days he found himself drawn to black nationalism by the way that the movement projected itself within the African-American community. A strong male image can be alluring to those growing up in an environment where fathers are often absent.
Sadly, our churches often have trouble connecting with men. The absence of men from the home is reflected in our churches, and we see this in everything from the style of worship to the very types of programs the church offers. In contrast, Pastor Mason takes us back to the vision of priestly leadership set forth in the Old Testament, using concrete examples to show how men are called to be servant-leaders. Pastor Mason lays out the role of a father as a spiritual leader and teacher, and calls for the church to take on God-sized projects that will inspire men beyond stacking chairs after coffee hour. The appeal to intellect rather than emotions and the need to cultivate a firm foundation in Scripture to defeat the adversaries in our own lives are also proposals to which I can relate as a male.
A Strong Savior
This is not to say that I agree with everything in the book. Some of what is discussed goes beyond the question of discipleship within the church. For example, one passage addresses the "problem" of gay parenting, and appears to suggest it is a consequence of the absence of Godly men from families. With 150 million children in orphanages worldwide and a Scriptural command that we "care for widows and orphans in their distress," I would submit that we need to be careful about judging others who attempt to offer a better quality of life to these children, whether or not we agree with their lifestyle.
But inasmuch as Pastor Mason is presenting Jesus as the "prototype" male who models the kind of loyalty, courage and determination about which my former manager wrote so eloquently, this is the Jesus whom I wish to follow. I believe if we start portraying Christ as a brave-hearted and unselfish Savior rather than the meek and effeminate mystic we see in so much Christian imagery, we would not only be truer to the Bible, we would find He is all we need to recruit more young men into His ranks.Buy Now
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 24th: Staying Alive: Why the Conventional Wisdom about Traditional Churches Is Wrong http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500251
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Bears sweep Big 12 Athlete of the Year honors for 2nd time in 3 years.
- Jefferson Castro published the blogpost Cristãos no Iraque tem casas marcadas por terroristas.
- Leigh Powers published the blogpost Blessings In Obedience–A Guest Post from Denise Lilly.
- John Deisher published the blogpost 9 Things to Do While You’re Still Single [Relevant].
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 24th Only! Living Into the Potential of Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AXZKV2E
- George BullardJuly 24th: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another About Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-24th-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-about-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Pete HouptJames 5:16-18 MSG
Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. Elijah, for instance, human just like us, prayed hard that it wouldn’t rain, and it didn’t—not a drop for three and a half years. Then he prayed that it would rain, and it did. The showers came and everything started growing again.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost Thinking Pink: Why My Daughter Thinks I’m “One of the Girls”.
- solomon david published the blogpost Hire Shopify App Development Company to build Robust eStore.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 3 Problems with Unspoken Expectations in Leadership.
- leelee hall uploaded a photo
- leelee hall created a new gallery
- leelee hall just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Backlogged Immigration System Prolongs Road to Deportation for Unaccompanied Minors.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 3): What is Modesty?.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost The One Change that Will Revolutionize How You Discipline (And Skyrocket Your Success).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Another Planned Parenthood Caught Promoting X-Rated Advice to Underage Girls.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost The Faith of Joseph: Trusting God When Life Is Hard.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Three “P’s” to Unleash the Power in Team Collaboration – Külli Koort.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 46: ‘Slow Church’ Authors Chris Smith & John Pattison.