The Differing Beauties of the Dawn and the Noonday Sun
One huge blessing of working out before dawn is beholding the colors in the sky as I exit the gym. The exquisite hues of pinks, lavenders, oranges, yellows, and reds are sometimes so brilliantly displayed I can only stop and stare at what God has painted on His heavenly easel. The beauty somehow embraces my heart. The splendor somehow reaches into my soul, and my lips involuntarily whisper, “Thank You.”
I wonder if David saw such a sky when he was inspired to write Psalm 37:5-6? “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.” I wish my faith were so strong I wouldn’t need “motivation” to trust God, but sometimes I do–like when I don’t understand what He’s allowing in my life. But knowing the unparalleled beauty of the dawn and the promise this Scripture makes, why wouldn’t I “commit my way to God and trust in him?!” I want to “shine” with HIS soft and beautiful light, and so, once again, I quote David’s words, voicing my trust in my God–especially when I don’t understand.
There was one day this winter, a Sunday I remember, when I felt especially challenged to accept and trust God’s will. I felt I’d been unjustly treated, and my feelings were very hurt. I had gotten home from church before the rest of my family, and being cold, I went upstairs to my son Joey’s bedroom where the sun blazes in the south-facing window. I knelt in the light on the carpeted floor and poured out my feelings to God.
Within only moments I recalled “He will make… the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.” I felt compelled to look at the time. It was only minutes before noon. I looked up and out the window. The sky was what we in the Rockies call “Colorado blue”–perfectly beautiful and peaceful–yet with a blindingly bright sun staring at me. The source of all light sat high above me, like an authority, and it became ridiculously obvious my human eyes weren’t made to be able to stare back but only submit to its greater power.
God was telling me in no uncertain terms if I trusted Him to handle the unjust way I was treated, HIS justice would someday, some way shine as bright as the sun in front of me. “Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord. On the contrary: ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink….’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:19-21). Not wisdom the world might give, but my directions from God were clear. In the noonday sun God gave me peace.
These moments when God “speaks” to me… when He hears my cry and answers… when He brings His Word to life… bless me with the fulfillment of intimacy like no other. Communing with the God of the universe. On the floor of my nine-year-old’s bedroom. A grown woman with hurt feelings. I could feel silly, but God cares and dignifies me by answering. I believe He cares about us infinitely more than we can imagine.
Two nights ago I was in Hermosa Beach, California, watching the sun descend below the horizon of the Pacific Ocean. Its disappearance left beautiful, soothing colors of twilight and with them, the assurance of the sun’s faithful return in the morning. God’s “perfect ending” to this day would become a glorious new beginning tomorrow… a continuous cycle of God’s beauty and sovereignty for the whole world to see. The light of the dawn, the shine of the sun… daily, forever, majestic reminders that in God we can trust and hope. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23).
This time my soul doesn’t whisper–it sings! “Thank You, Lord Jesus! Thank You!”
Visit Laurie's website at www.lauriegeisz.com.
- Blake Atwood published the video Jesus Makes Headlines: How Jesus Enters Your Life | Steve Adams.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Do You Want to Get Well? | Craig Groeschel.
- Blake Atwood shared Is Your Bible Study Group-Centered or Christ-Centered?: Here's a short checklist from Peter Krol to help ascertain if your small group may have lost its primary focus. Has your group ever experienced something like this?
- Min. Kamal SharifI haven't been here in a while, but I'll be spending a lot more time here in the future. Too much evil on other social networks. I need to spend more time with the people of God.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 13 Things “Big Church” Must Learn from Youth Ministry.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Casual Pot Use Causes Brain Abnormalities In The Young.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida Police Save 14-Year-Old Girl From Sex Trafficking.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Kinnear and Reilly Bring Realism to 'Heaven' Movie.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost How to Recognize Signs of Alzheimer’s in Loved Ones.
- solomon david published the blogpost Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update To Fix Nexus 5 Battery Issue, Rolls Out in Mid-April.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost N: Neverland is a Nightmare – The Beauty of Growing Up.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Paul Walker’s Brothers Help Finish ‘Fast & Furious 7′ Action Scenes.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Why You And Jesus Need Marriage Counseling (or a personal appeal for fresh analogies).
- solomon david published the blogpost New Gameplay Teaser Announces Age of Empires for Windows Phone.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost The Smell of Isolation: Day 16 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Integrity Music set to release Action Bible Remixed.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Fellowship Creative releasing debut album ‘Running To Follow’ May 13.
- solomon david published the blogpost 8 Best Android Tablet Applications For Spring 2014.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost Tears in Your Grape Juice: the privilege of servant leadership.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Is It Possible to Be Eternally Separated From God? | TQ.43.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Major Milestones: Celebration, Reflection, Anticipation.
- Sandra Glahn published the blogpost The Feminists We Forgot: My Post for Her.Meneutics.
- Jed Davis published the blogpost Auto Responders: Have You Broken These Thou Shall Nots….
- Jotham David Parker uploaded a photo
- Deena Shoemaker published the blogpost Project: Beautiful Feet -- The Stelmaszek Family to Pretoria, South Africa.
- Deena Shoemaker published the blogpost Ask Box: Biblical Authority, Inerrancy, and Inspiration..
- Deena Shoemaker published the blogpost Project: Beautiful Feet -- Tommy Martin to Sierra Leone, West Africa.
- Deena Shoemaker published the blogpost Project: Beautiful Feet -- Adam Denton to Trujillo, Bagua and Chiri Yaco, Peru.
- David Capshaw just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Garry Rivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Whitt Madden published the blogpost Resolution for Women – My Heart, A resolution to care..
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Practices Of Leaders Who Dominate The Competition.