6 Ways to Support Foster Families When Fostering Isn't Your Calling
You've probably heard a lot about foster care during National Foster Care Month. But you may be saying, “I just don’t feel like our family is called to foster.”
That's perfectly fine! Foster care truly is a ministry – one that many people are not called to pursue. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways you can minister to foster families and support them in their calling:
• Offer to babysit – Babysitting foster children does require some time spent in training and certification, but it is a huge help to parents who might need a night or weekend “off.”
• Help around the house – When you’ve got a full house, the laundry pile starts to look like Mt. Everest, and requires nearly as much stamina to conquer! Mowing, cooking a meal or even offering to spend an hour helping clean the house are all great ways to assist foster families in their work when life starts getting the best of them.
• Provide emergency supplies – Sometimes foster parents take children with very little notice of their arrival. You can offer your crib that’s sitting in storage or be an extra set of hands and make a quick trip to the store for necessities.
• Help with the “extras” – The stipends foster parents receive cover the bare minimum – clothes and food, and sometimes it doesn’t even cover all of that. Any "extras" come out of foster families’ pockets, and these are often things many families take for granted – like haircuts, birthday presents, prom dresses, football cleats, ballet lessons, entry to a basketball game, and many others.
• Transportation and carpooling – With a million different places to be at once, foster families can always use an extra set of wheels.
• Prayer – Partner together with a foster family you know to support them in prayer, because goodness knows they need it daily!
Got any other ideas? Let us know in the comments!
To learn more about foster care through Buckner, visit www.beafamily.org.
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Bloodlines: John Piper ‘ s Story of Race And Grace.