6 Ways to Support Foster Families When Fostering Isn't Your Calling
You've probably heard a lot about foster care during National Foster Care Month. But you may be saying, “I just don’t feel like our family is called to foster.”
That's perfectly fine! Foster care truly is a ministry – one that many people are not called to pursue. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways you can minister to foster families and support them in their calling:
• Offer to babysit – Babysitting foster children does require some time spent in training and certification, but it is a huge help to parents who might need a night or weekend “off.”
• Help around the house – When you’ve got a full house, the laundry pile starts to look like Mt. Everest, and requires nearly as much stamina to conquer! Mowing, cooking a meal or even offering to spend an hour helping clean the house are all great ways to assist foster families in their work when life starts getting the best of them.
• Provide emergency supplies – Sometimes foster parents take children with very little notice of their arrival. You can offer your crib that’s sitting in storage or be an extra set of hands and make a quick trip to the store for necessities.
• Help with the “extras” – The stipends foster parents receive cover the bare minimum – clothes and food, and sometimes it doesn’t even cover all of that. Any "extras" come out of foster families’ pockets, and these are often things many families take for granted – like haircuts, birthday presents, prom dresses, football cleats, ballet lessons, entry to a basketball game, and many others.
• Transportation and carpooling – With a million different places to be at once, foster families can always use an extra set of wheels.
• Prayer – Partner together with a foster family you know to support them in prayer, because goodness knows they need it daily!
Got any other ideas? Let us know in the comments!
To learn more about foster care through Buckner, visit www.beafamily.org.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.
- Brad RussellLots of Lenten posts from our blog community, make sure you check some of them out.
- Blake Atwood published the article 'Warfare in the Old Testament' | Boyd Seevers [Book Review].
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Cross of Christ Declares that God Understands my Suffering.
- Blake Atwood shared 7 Mobile Apps for Church Social Media Directors: Check out Darrel Girardier's favorite mobile apps for social media: "If you're like me, you can't be confined to your desk and run social media for your church. You need mobile tools that allow you to quickly capture what's happening and feed it to your social media channels. Here's a quick list of tools that I use to get the job done."
- Stephen Morrissey published the blogpost Church Social Media (Part 2): Social Media Foundations.
- Shari Dragovich published the blogpost A word on literary affairs, time online, & making culture.