The Difference Between Peter and Judas' Sorrow
"And Peter remembered the word which Jesus had said, 'Before a rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.' And he went out and wept bitterly ...." (Matthew 26:75)
"And he (Judas) threw the pieces of silver into the temple sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself" (Matthew 27:5)
This is the story of two men and their sorrow. The first is Peter. The second is Judas.
Both men betrayed Christ. Both men let themselves down and the one they spent the previous three years of their life with. Both men were incredibly grief-stricken and sorrowful for what they had done.
But what we see is a small, but critical difference in the response of each man.
Peter’s sorrow was a godly sorrow. How do we know that? Because it led to repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10) He was grief-stricken, but his sorrow caused him to move closer to Christ. Because of his willingness to be humbled, it did not destroy him.
Similarly, Judas was also grief-stricken by his actions in betraying Jesus. But, unlike Peter, Judas' grief separated him from Jesus and the love and forgiveness that he needed. Judas' sorrow was the “sorrow of the world that leads to death” (2 Corinthians 7:10).
When we fail Christ and even betray Him, like Peter or Judas, we have a choice to make in how we will respond. Sorrow is not enough. In our grief we need to humble ourselves and recognize our failing is an opportunity to return to the arms of Jesus.
The alternative is not worth considering.
Prayer: Father, thank you for forgiving us in our moments of sin when we fail you most. Help me Lord to see such moments as opportunities to embrace the humble, low road and be restored to right relationship with you. Thank you Lord, Amen
Image • edevotional.com
- Doris SwiftOur greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.” ― D.L. Moody
- Doris SwiftEmerge from ordinary into extraordinary; rise above, set apart, walking in the plan as He directs the steps...
- Doris SwiftIf you're feeling stuck in your writing journey~remember, every new idea-every word written propels you forward
- Jon StallingsIf we focus our prayers just on Jesus delivering us from the trials of life, we have set up our own life as an idol
- Melcome Feldspar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Shouldn't All Christians Be Universalists At Heart?.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.
- Brad RussellLots of Lenten posts from our blog community, make sure you check some of them out.
- Blake Atwood published the article 'Warfare in the Old Testament' | Boyd Seevers [Book Review].
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Cross of Christ Declares that God Understands my Suffering.