Narnia, Hogwarts or Neverland?
(RNS) Evangelicals prefer Narnia, Catholics have a wanderlust for Wonderland, and mainline Protestants are split between hitching a ride to Hogwarts, Narnia or Neverland.
Those are the results from a unique poll by the television show “60 Minutes” and Vanity Fair magazine. The survey asked 1,000 Americans what fantasy land they’d most like to visit (Washington, D.C., excluded).
Evangelicals showed a clear preference for Narnia, the fantastical world of talking beasts entered through a enchanted wardrobe in C.S. Lewis’ series “The Chronicles of Narnia.”
Lewis, an Anglican, topped the list for 28 percent of evangelicals. Both his fiction -- commonly interpreted as Christian allegories -- and also his nonfiction have become touchstones in contemporary evangelicalism.
Just 8 percent of evangelicals said they would like to visit Hogwarts, the school of witchcraft and wizardry from the Harry Potter series.
Alice’s Wonderland was many Catholics’ cup of tea, with 21 percent saying they’d like to take a trip down the rabbit hole. Peter Pan's Neverland (18 percent), Hogwarts (18 percent) and J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth (16 percent) weren’t far behind.
Mainline Protestants were similarly split between Neverland (19 percent), Narnia (18 percent) and Hogwarts (18 percent).
Among those listed as “other” religions, Hogwarts was the clear favorite (31 percent). And Middle Earth led the way for those who professed no religious affiliation (23 percent).
The survey, conducted in late 2010 and recently highlighted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, includes a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor profs honored for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 4 Ways to Say No to Multitasking and Yes to Productivity.
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Ways to Say 'No' to Multitasking and 'Yes' to Productivity.
- Lori Minutoli published the blogpost The Defining Moment Between Attraction and Sexual Sin for the Christian.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost “Guide For Parents During The First 6 Weeks Of College”.
- Laurie Geisz published the blogpost “Good Morning, God” ~ When Your Baby’s Having Surgery.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Guest Blog: Welcome to the Passive Aggressive Church.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote by Dustin Shramek on God’s sovereignty and our suffering. [Quote].
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Stevenson's Treasure by Mark Wiederanders.
- Don Sartain published the blogpost Reflections on the Old Testament, Changes, and the Middle East.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teenagers Who Smoke Marijuana Daily Are Over 60% Less Likely To Complete High School.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Crazy Ways Social Media Is Changing Your Brain Right Now.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Social Media Tracked Trends: Facebook Isn’t Dead Among Teens.
- solomon david published the blogpost 15 Best Practices of PHP Development for Beginners.
- Mary DeMuth published the blogpost 25 – 4 Truths that’ll Change the Way You View Evangelism.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Kindle Giveaway & the new Bucket List Living For Moms book.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost How You Can Be the Hero in Your Marriage – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Why Always Putting Others First is A Horrible Idea.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: How to Keep From Burning Out Way Too Soon (Episode 9).