Narnia, Hogwarts or Neverland?
(RNS) Evangelicals prefer Narnia, Catholics have a wanderlust for Wonderland, and mainline Protestants are split between hitching a ride to Hogwarts, Narnia or Neverland.
Those are the results from a unique poll by the television show “60 Minutes” and Vanity Fair magazine. The survey asked 1,000 Americans what fantasy land they’d most like to visit (Washington, D.C., excluded).
Evangelicals showed a clear preference for Narnia, the fantastical world of talking beasts entered through a enchanted wardrobe in C.S. Lewis’ series “The Chronicles of Narnia.”
Lewis, an Anglican, topped the list for 28 percent of evangelicals. Both his fiction -- commonly interpreted as Christian allegories -- and also his nonfiction have become touchstones in contemporary evangelicalism.
Just 8 percent of evangelicals said they would like to visit Hogwarts, the school of witchcraft and wizardry from the Harry Potter series.
Alice’s Wonderland was many Catholics’ cup of tea, with 21 percent saying they’d like to take a trip down the rabbit hole. Peter Pan's Neverland (18 percent), Hogwarts (18 percent) and J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth (16 percent) weren’t far behind.
Mainline Protestants were similarly split between Neverland (19 percent), Narnia (18 percent) and Hogwarts (18 percent).
Among those listed as “other” religions, Hogwarts was the clear favorite (31 percent). And Middle Earth led the way for those who professed no religious affiliation (23 percent).
The survey, conducted in late 2010 and recently highlighted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, includes a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
- Pete HouptThen call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory. (NLT) -Psalm 50:15
Who do you run to when you are in trouble? Perhaps your spouse, parents, or a good friend? The problem with these people is they are human and can't always rescue you or know what is best for you. God says he will rescue you... not maybe, not perhaps, but He WILL rescue you. How comforting it is to know God has your back. It's only fitting we respond with thankfulness and give God the honor He deserves. Are you in trouble? Then call on the Lord, He will be there.
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 23rd Only! Leaving, Staying, and Becoming Well Following a Lose/Leave Conflict in Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BO0L8SS
- George BullardJuly 23rd: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another the Right Questions #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-23rd-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-the-right-questions-365ssiftc.html
- Kayla Bentz uploaded a photo
- Kayla Bentz created a new gallery
- Mitzi Smith published the blogpost 10 BEST Back to School Movies for Family Fun Night.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost George W. Bush’s knee surgery highlights fast joint replacement options.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 10 Things I’d Do Differently if I Weren’t a Pastor Today.
- Kayla Bentz just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children 12 And Under Are Fastest Growing Group Of Unaccompanied Minors At U.S. Border.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: 15 Sites and Apps Kids Are Heading to Beyond Facebook.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might Be Better Than Eight.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Help for Couples Recovering from Adultery or Pornography: Video Tandem 8 of 9.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 52 Great Questions to Ask Your Direct Reports – Glenn Brooke.
- Jody Martin just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Moses – The Circumstance Driven Leader.
- John Bucher published the blogpost MY LATEST on HBO’s SITE at WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.COM.
- Joni Foto just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- John Rutledge published the article Obama’s LGBT Federal Hiring Order Leaves Bush-era Religious Exemption in Place.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Because of Jesus Christ, There Is Always Joyous Hope by Debbie Harris.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Watch Hope Unfold in the Lives of Four Extraordinary People.
- Kelley Mathews published the video The Best Yes Small Group Bible Study | Lysa TerKeurst.
- Lindsey Wickman uploaded a photo
- Lindsey Wickman created a new gallery
- Lindsey Wickman just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost Is Christianity harder than than we pretend it is?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Tallest man in Canada stars as Goliath in upcoming ‘David and Goliath’ film.
- Melissa Morris uploaded a photo
- Melissa Morris created a new gallery
- Jed Davis published the blogpost Rejection Is Coming, Deal With It In Two Simple Steps.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost For many patients, life after intensive care includes trauma, nightmares.
- Melissa Morris just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brittany Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- John Bucher published the blogpost Six Sightings of a Yet Unseen Force at Work in THE LEFTOVERS.
- sean forte will be attending Community Life Team // Prayer and Info Bulletin Board.