"I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also."
– 2 Timothy 1:5
In a world where we tend to individualize faith, these words of the Apostle Paul to Timothy are succinct but powerful. Timothy’s faith is alive and well — he’s a pastor in the early Church — but it didn’t start with him. Especially on Mother’s Day, what a gift it is to be reminded of the power of parenting.
No, not all of us who’ve come to faith in Christ have done so because of the influence of our parents. And not all of us who raise our kids “in Christian homes” will see our children choose the faith. And yet, faith in Christ by its very nature leaves a legacy. It is viral.
If you your parents didn’t model the faith for you as Timothy’s mother and grandmother did for him, someone modeled it for you. Someone showed you what it was all about, and the legacy of their faith includes you. Now, you have the opportunity to model it for others — your children, if you have them, as well as neighbors and students and so on.
The Christian faith, which began so long ago, which spread like wildfire starting on the day of Pentecost, rolled on from the apostles to people like Lois and Eunice and Timothy, and on and on. Centuries later, here we are, the latest chapter in the same story.
What is God’s chosen instrument for the persistence and pervasiveness of His Church? It’s no mystery. “You will be my witnesses,” Jesus told the disciples in Acts 1. And they did just that. Throughout the last two millennia an unbroken succession of the faithful have taken up that calling, modeling the faith and leaving a legacy. May we joyfully embrace our place in the story.
Originally posted May 8, 2011
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Ways to Raise Money for Your Mission Trip (Part One).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teachers Union Battles Proposed Ban On Flip-Flops, Jeans And Facial Piercings.
- Blake Atwood published the audio Facing Giants In Life and Work | Rick Warren and Malcolm Gladwell.
- Haylee Davis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews > Momzie ConversationsHi Moms! I have an offer... Do you and your kids watch VeggieTales? Do you enjoy writing? If you can answer yes to both, please consider writing a review of the brand-new episode —not even on store shelves yet — called "Veggies in Space: The Fennel Frontier." We would need a 600 word review of the show that includes both a summary of the plot and your (and/or your kids) thoughts on it. What makes it work? Why is it funny for kids and/or parents? Does it keep the winning Veggie tradition going? That sort of thing. Message me if you are interested and please include your mailing address. If I get more than one request, I'll draw names. Go!
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Taunted By Bullies Are More Likely To Consider, Attempt Suicide.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Safe Healthcare is as Simple as These Quick Questions.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Assess How Well You and Your Spouse Make Decisions as Friends.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Jesus as the Son of God and Disciples as Real People (Movie Review).
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #03: Three Crucial Things to Consider When Creating A Business Logo [Podcast].
- George BullardMarch 12th: Transform Congregations By Increasing Your Dependence on God #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-12th-transform-congregations-by-increasing-your-dependence-on-god-365ssiftc.html
- Eric Speir published the blogpost Steps Are For People And Leaps Are For Frogs (Here’s why!).
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Annetta Bosakova & FREE Printable!.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Bridging the Generation Gap:: Embracing Mentorship.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Done Is Better Than Perfect–Guest Post by Ken Cochrum.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost How the Gospel Makes Us Productive: My Interview on Faith Radio.
- Anita Palmer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jenni Ingram just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 5 Lessons On Top Talent And Their Impact On Church Growth.
- Cathy Roberts just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Billy Coffey shares a gripping tale about the destructive nature of secrets and regret.
- Tyger Burch just moved in. Take time to say hey.