Impacting the World at the Beautiful Gate
"And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, 'Look at us.' And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them.
But Peter said, 'I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!'
And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God.
And all the people saw him walking and praising God, and recognized him as the one who sat at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, asking for alms. And they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him" (Acts 3:4-10).
Peter and John were going to the temple to pray, but along the way an opportunity arose for them to famously encounter a young man with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Often we believe we don’t have time to “witness,” or we are not good evangelists, and so we leave the great commission to others. But, from this account we can learn much about how you and I can impact the world like Peter and John did with the man at the Gate Beautiful.
“Look at us” (Acts 3:4)
In a busy world, there are countless voices competing for attention. But, like Peter and John, believers today need to grab the attention of the world decisively and boldly. Why? Because we have good news to tell!
“Expecting to receive something” (Acts 3:5)
The world has an expectation about the church; you need to give me something. It might not be an unreasonable expectation, even when what we offer might not be what they are expecting.
“ ... But what I do have I give to you” (Acts 3:6)
You can only give what you’ve got. What we’ve got is the miracle-working, life-transforming power of Jesus within us!
“ ... he took him by the right hand and raised him up” (Acts 3:7)
Often for people to receive Jesus they need a hand up. The outcome of a life transformed by God is dancing, leaping and praising God. But to get there, it takes a step of faith, an attempt to stand after sitting for so long.
“ ... and they were filled with wonder and amazement” (Acts 3:10)
The result of faith and the power of God uniting together is a miracle that leaves crowds of people in awe and amazement. “What happened to him?” “GOD happened to Him!!”
So may it be with you and I as we venture into the world this week, in the power of the Holy Spirit!
PRAYER: Father, thank you for your word. May it transform my thinking and expectation of you in my life. Not just for my benefit, but for the benefit of the world around me. I ask this in Jesus name, Amen.
Image • eDevotional.com
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost A Dozen Things You Can Do to Start Really Living Today.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kidnapped Boy, 10, Sang A Gospel Song For 3 HOURS Until Abductor Set Him Free.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Suffer A Concussion More Likely To Attempt Suicide: study.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost New Teen Deadly LSD-Like Drug 25I, or N-bomb Trends.
- Scott Couchenour published the blogpost Serve Strong: An Interview With Author Terry Powell (part 1).
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Should Churches Allow Their Pastors To Smoke Pot If It Is Legal?.
- Nathan Rouse published the blogpost #011 Four Questions You Should Be Asking Your Kids.
- Perry HancockGOD'S WORD 2DAY - Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works..."
When we think of work, we often see ourselves as employees of the company that provides us with a means to make a living. We may work for a bank, a school, a factory, or even a church.
In this verse we learn that we actually work for the Lord and that we were created to do good works for Him.
Today while you are at work remember that even though you have work to do for your company, you also have good works to do for the Lord.
Do something 2DAY for Him and share your story at 124GO.
- Jeff Randleman published the blogpost Book Review – How High Will You Climb? By John C. Maxwell.
- Donald Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- solomon david published the blogpost Product Video – A Highly Advanced & Elegant X-Cart Module by Perception System.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Hiring Great People Begins With Great Interview Questions – Glenn Brooke.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost My Practices for Walking Well with God-Guest Post by Steve Douglass.
- Stephen Morrissey published the blogpost CWS Podcast – Ep. 41: Even If You are Wrong, Be Consistent.
- Jed Davis published the blogpost The Most Overlooked & Underquoted Verses In All Of Scripture.
- Vineet Mehrotra just moved in. Take time to say hey.