When God Asks Impossible Things of You
We tend to expect God to act in ways we can understand.
We work, and so God provides money. We pray, and so God answers prayer. We do this, and so God does that.
In other words, we see God as the effect and ourselves as the cause.
Life is all about God responding, it seems, and if we do nothing, neither will God.
This isn’t true, obviously. But it’s how we feel.
So what if we’re in a situation where we can do nothing? What happens when we can no longer be the cause?
When God asks impossible things of you?
When We’re No Longer the Cause
When we see ourselves as the cause and God merely as Responder, our view of God is weak. We have limitations. God has none.
When the Lord surprised Abraham by telling him his wife, Sarah, would have a son in a year’s time, they were dumbfounded. But God’s response was both timely and timeless.
"Is anything too difficult for the Lord?" (Genesis 18:14)
When God tells us to do something, we can instantly come up with 10 good reasons why God’s way won’t work. We focus on the limitations as we see them instead of seeing God’s power as limitless.
God isn’t limited by our limitations. They’re merely opportunities for His power. (Tweet that.)
Our God of Impossibilities
It’s always easier to laugh than believe the impossible.
It’s true; many times when we follow God’s will, we may not see a way out of our situation. In fact, humanly speaking, there may be no way out.
But that’s okay. We’re not the cause.
Our job is not to see the solution to our struggles, but to obey God and trust Him for the solution. Human limitations are opportunities for God’s power.
The Cause in Our Lives
Immediate success tempts us to want to take the credit. That way, we see ourselves as the cause and God as the effect.
Abraham and Sarah had to wait 25 years from the time they were promised a son to the time that they got him.
There’s nothing like a period of waiting and futility to show us that blessing and success in our lives is only of God. This is true even when success does come immediately, but the success often blinds us to the fact.
Our limitations best convince us that success is of God — not of us.
When God Asks Impossible Things of You
As our mortal minds struggle to follow the plans of our immortal God, we must remember that He has no limitations like us.
If God asks impossible things of us, He plans to do the impossible for us. (Tweet that.)
What impossible things are you trusting God for today?
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: an explanation from the crazy crying lady at the park.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: when the hands and feet of God stink and hurt, respectively.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: "christian" - better as a noun, not an adjective.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….