When God Asks Impossible Things of You
We tend to expect God to act in ways we can understand.
We work, and so God provides money. We pray, and so God answers prayer. We do this, and so God does that.
In other words, we see God as the effect and ourselves as the cause.
Life is all about God responding, it seems, and if we do nothing, neither will God.
This isn’t true, obviously. But it’s how we feel.
So what if we’re in a situation where we can do nothing? What happens when we can no longer be the cause?
When God asks impossible things of you?
When We’re No Longer the Cause
When we see ourselves as the cause and God merely as Responder, our view of God is weak. We have limitations. God has none.
When the Lord surprised Abraham by telling him his wife, Sarah, would have a son in a year’s time, they were dumbfounded. But God’s response was both timely and timeless.
"Is anything too difficult for the Lord?" (Genesis 18:14)
When God tells us to do something, we can instantly come up with 10 good reasons why God’s way won’t work. We focus on the limitations as we see them instead of seeing God’s power as limitless.
God isn’t limited by our limitations. They’re merely opportunities for His power. (Tweet that.)
Our God of Impossibilities
It’s always easier to laugh than believe the impossible.
It’s true; many times when we follow God’s will, we may not see a way out of our situation. In fact, humanly speaking, there may be no way out.
But that’s okay. We’re not the cause.
Our job is not to see the solution to our struggles, but to obey God and trust Him for the solution. Human limitations are opportunities for God’s power.
The Cause in Our Lives
Immediate success tempts us to want to take the credit. That way, we see ourselves as the cause and God as the effect.
Abraham and Sarah had to wait 25 years from the time they were promised a son to the time that they got him.
There’s nothing like a period of waiting and futility to show us that blessing and success in our lives is only of God. This is true even when success does come immediately, but the success often blinds us to the fact.
Our limitations best convince us that success is of God — not of us.
When God Asks Impossible Things of You
As our mortal minds struggle to follow the plans of our immortal God, we must remember that He has no limitations like us.
If God asks impossible things of us, He plans to do the impossible for us. (Tweet that.)
What impossible things are you trusting God for today?
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.