5 Ways I’m Blogging to a Better Life
Three years ago I set up a Blogger account to simply create a living photo album of our family to keep friends and family updated with the Deguara family’s current events. Much to my surprise not to many people were interested in our exciting lives (you can laugh) and I began to recognize that Facebook was the friends and family connector. I enjoyed writing, however, so I began to shift the focus of my blog to some things I’m very passionate about: People, Leadership and the Church.
Since then blogging has never been about me, yet it is helping me become better at life. I haven’t monetized my blog, I have yet to create a product, and though my traffic is increasing steadily, I have more people passing thru than participating in the community I’m trying to cultivate. Now I only mention the things that haven’t happened with my blog because many times we are equating “better” with how much we are making, what we are producing, and who is reading or watching.
“Better” for me is a journey I’m still on. I think some of the things I mentioned above are in my blog’s future, but if none of it ever happens here are some things blogging is helping me get better at.
1. A Better Writer
Ironically the most spiritual class I ever took in college was English. People are baffled when I tell them that but it’s true. I never felt God more than when I was reading and writing in my English class. Blogging has helped me rediscover my God-given passion for reading and writing and has challenged me to explore the possibilities of one day becoming an author.
2. A Better Speaker
Blogging has caused me to become a better speaker, a better story teller, a better closer. I’ve noticed that the more I blog, the better I communicate. When I’m preparing a message to deliver I’m spending more time with the art of delivering it, than the form of creating it.
3. A Better Leader
I quoted Pastor Ray Johnston in my post last week, but it rings true when it comes to my blogging experience. “If You're not Learning Today, You Won't be Leading Tomorrow.” Blogging has opened up an entire new world of leadership because it is connecting me with leaders I would have never interacted with if I wasn’t blogging. I blog, therefore I connect with other bloggers. These bloggers are making me become a better leader when I participate in there community by leaving a comment, sharing their content or just connecting through email and getting their feedback.
4. A Better Pastor
Blogging has helped me with processing the Monday morning blues many pastors experience on a weekly basis. It assists me in bringing clarity to things that are bogging me down. When I blog the burden lifts and the blues dissipate. My mind is cleared of the clutter and chatter and I can focus on the positive instead of the negative.
5. A Better Friend
I’m always encouraged by someone who says they were encouraged by one my posts, a book I recommended or a hard topic I addressed. I couldn’t possibly sit down personally with each person that reads my blog but I’m thrilled that it keeps me connected to people I care about and people I’m meeting for the first time. Blogging has allowed me to sustain existing friendships and expand my influence in their lives.
Blogging to a better life is not just about what your blog can do for you, it’s what your blog can do for others. I’m inspired by those that are using social media to influence and impact the world that lies beyond their blog and helping people build better lives. A better life for me is making others around me better.
How has blogging helped you? I would appreciate any comments you have.
Find more content like this in JavaJuice Bloghouse.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.