DBU Alumnus Sees Ministry Behind Dentistry
When Dr. Michael Stuart, current president of the Texas Dental Association, graduated from Dallas Baptist College in 1974, he received a Bachelor of Science and intended to begin medical school soon after. Before he could begin his career as a dentist, however, the Lord temporarily led Dr. Stuart down a different path, teaching him first about faith and service.
After graduation, Dr. Stuart studied at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary to earn a Master of Church Music degree and spent 16 years as a full-time music minister. Despite his love for the ministry and church music, he still felt something was missing.
After much thought and prayer, he drove back to the DBU campus to get a second opinion from his former professor Dr. Herb Robbins, who was then dean of the former College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Robbins suggested dentistry, and Dr. Stuart took his advice and was soon accepted into the Baylor College of Dentistry.
Graduating with his Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1986, Dr. Stuart has now been practicing dentistry for 27 years in the Mesquite and Sunnyvale area.
In the waiting room of Dr. Stuart’s clinic, he has a mission statement printed that expresses the staff’s desire to “provide the ultimate quality of dental care in a safe, pleasant, caring, patient-centered environment, making each person feel comfortable and happy with their dental experience.” The mission statement is infused through every member of his staff and their interactions with patients.
“My faith in Christ permeates everything I do,” he explains. “It influences who I am, how I approach people, and how I operate my office.” This worldview has led Dr. Stuart and his staff to volunteer with various organizations such as Texas Mission of Mercy, a product of the Texas Dental Association’s Smile Foundation that brings dental care to those without access to oral healthcare on their own; and Dentistry From The Heart, an annual, nation-wide event that gives free dental care to those in need.
For Dentistry From The Heart, he even partnered with his church, Sunnyvale First Baptist Church, where he is a deacon and elder, to make sure those who came to the free clinic heard the Gospel as well.
Dr. Stuart’s commitment to dentistry extends beyond his local area to the state and national levels. Most recently, he was elected president of the more than 8,700-member Texas Dental Association, where he is responsible for traveling the state to meet with various districts, educating dentists about important issues in their field, and overseeing the TDA Board of Directors.
He has been a member of the TDA Board of Directors since 2004, previously serving as Parliamentarian. He has served as the President of the Dallas County Dental Society, the Texas Academy of General Dentistry, and the Dallas Academy of General Dentistry. He has been a national delegate to the American Dental Association, of which he is a member, and was nominated for Texas Dentist of the Year in 2002. He was also honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from DBU in 2005, accompanied by his wife, Kathy, also a ’74 DBC graduate.
For all his involvement, accomplishments, and awards, Dr. Stuart’s most defining characteristic is his commitment to Christ and to his patients. “When our new office in Sunnyvale was opening a few years ago, I asked my pastor to come and dedicate the practice to God before any patient ever stepped into the building,” said Dr. Stuart, “and when you do that, you have to follow through with your commitment.”
“Our office is Christ-centered. We are a business, of course, and we treat people of all different faiths and backgrounds,” he continued, “but we do it in a way that follows Christ’s example, and we hope people feel that through our actions.”
- Gary Thomas published the blogpost How to have more energy for your marriage and family.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ESPN rolls cameras as Baylor alums’ 12-year-old son’s dream comes true.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 5 Ways Churches Fail At Social Media & How To Do It Well.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 23rd: Spiritual Leadership In A Secular Age: Building Bridges Instead Of Barriers http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827234619
- Jerry Jarrett just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Pete HouptThen call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory. (NLT) -Psalm 50:15
Who do you run to when you are in trouble? Perhaps your spouse, parents, or a good friend? The problem with these people is they are human and can't always rescue you or know what is best for you. God says he will rescue you... not maybe, not perhaps, but He WILL rescue you. How comforting it is to know God has your back. It's only fitting we respond with thankfulness and give God the honor He deserves. Are you in trouble? Then call on the Lord, He will be there.
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 23rd Only! Leaving, Staying, and Becoming Well Following a Lose/Leave Conflict in Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BO0L8SS
- George BullardJuly 23rd: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another the Right Questions #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-23rd-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-the-right-questions-365ssiftc.html
- Kayla Bentz uploaded a photo
- Kayla Bentz created a new gallery
- Mitzi Smith published the blogpost 10 BEST Back to School Movies for Family Fun Night.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost George W. Bush’s knee surgery highlights fast joint replacement options.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 10 Things I’d Do Differently if I Weren’t a Pastor Today.
- Kayla Bentz just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children 12 And Under Are Fastest Growing Group Of Unaccompanied Minors At U.S. Border.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: 15 Sites and Apps Kids Are Heading to Beyond Facebook.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might Be Better Than Eight.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Help for Couples Recovering from Adultery or Pornography: Video Tandem 8 of 9.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 52 Great Questions to Ask Your Direct Reports – Glenn Brooke.
- Jody Martin just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Moses – The Circumstance Driven Leader.
- John Bucher published the blogpost MY LATEST on HBO’s SITE at WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.COM.
- Joni Foto just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- John Rutledge published the article Obama’s LGBT Federal Hiring Order Leaves Bush-era Religious Exemption in Place.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Because of Jesus Christ, There Is Always Joyous Hope by Debbie Harris.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Watch Hope Unfold in the Lives of Four Extraordinary People.
- Kelley Mathews published the video The Best Yes Small Group Bible Study | Lysa TerKeurst.
- Lindsey Wickman uploaded a photo
- Lindsey Wickman created a new gallery
- Lindsey Wickman just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost Is Christianity harder than than we pretend it is?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Tallest man in Canada stars as Goliath in upcoming ‘David and Goliath’ film.
- Melissa Morris uploaded a photo
- Melissa Morris created a new gallery