DBU Alumnus Sees Ministry Behind Dentistry
When Dr. Michael Stuart, current president of the Texas Dental Association, graduated from Dallas Baptist College in 1974, he received a Bachelor of Science and intended to begin medical school soon after. Before he could begin his career as a dentist, however, the Lord temporarily led Dr. Stuart down a different path, teaching him first about faith and service.
After graduation, Dr. Stuart studied at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary to earn a Master of Church Music degree and spent 16 years as a full-time music minister. Despite his love for the ministry and church music, he still felt something was missing.
After much thought and prayer, he drove back to the DBU campus to get a second opinion from his former professor Dr. Herb Robbins, who was then dean of the former College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Robbins suggested dentistry, and Dr. Stuart took his advice and was soon accepted into the Baylor College of Dentistry.
Graduating with his Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1986, Dr. Stuart has now been practicing dentistry for 27 years in the Mesquite and Sunnyvale area.
In the waiting room of Dr. Stuart’s clinic, he has a mission statement printed that expresses the staff’s desire to “provide the ultimate quality of dental care in a safe, pleasant, caring, patient-centered environment, making each person feel comfortable and happy with their dental experience.” The mission statement is infused through every member of his staff and their interactions with patients.
“My faith in Christ permeates everything I do,” he explains. “It influences who I am, how I approach people, and how I operate my office.” This worldview has led Dr. Stuart and his staff to volunteer with various organizations such as Texas Mission of Mercy, a product of the Texas Dental Association’s Smile Foundation that brings dental care to those without access to oral healthcare on their own; and Dentistry From The Heart, an annual, nation-wide event that gives free dental care to those in need.
For Dentistry From The Heart, he even partnered with his church, Sunnyvale First Baptist Church, where he is a deacon and elder, to make sure those who came to the free clinic heard the Gospel as well.
Dr. Stuart’s commitment to dentistry extends beyond his local area to the state and national levels. Most recently, he was elected president of the more than 8,700-member Texas Dental Association, where he is responsible for traveling the state to meet with various districts, educating dentists about important issues in their field, and overseeing the TDA Board of Directors.
He has been a member of the TDA Board of Directors since 2004, previously serving as Parliamentarian. He has served as the President of the Dallas County Dental Society, the Texas Academy of General Dentistry, and the Dallas Academy of General Dentistry. He has been a national delegate to the American Dental Association, of which he is a member, and was nominated for Texas Dentist of the Year in 2002. He was also honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from DBU in 2005, accompanied by his wife, Kathy, also a ’74 DBC graduate.
For all his involvement, accomplishments, and awards, Dr. Stuart’s most defining characteristic is his commitment to Christ and to his patients. “When our new office in Sunnyvale was opening a few years ago, I asked my pastor to come and dedicate the practice to God before any patient ever stepped into the building,” said Dr. Stuart, “and when you do that, you have to follow through with your commitment.”
“Our office is Christ-centered. We are a business, of course, and we treat people of all different faiths and backgrounds,” he continued, “but we do it in a way that follows Christ’s example, and we hope people feel that through our actions.”
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....