Harper Gruzins: Bouncing Back from Bullying
Walking off the stage at a Major League Soccer game last year, 11-year-old singer/songwriter Harper Gruzins never expected to experience the amount of cyber-bullying she received for her performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
The day after the game, her video on YouTube had already gone viral, receiving more than 1 million views, along with hundreds of nasty comments one wouldn’t wish on their worst enemy. She fought back tears over how critics labeled her rendition as the “worst national anthem ever.”
Over the past year, Harper has been on Fox News, ABC News, and other local news outlets, sharing her story and how she’s responded to such intense criticism. She’s performed around the country, clearly proving that no one can keep her from following her dreams.
Harper's sweet yet bold presence permeated the FaithVillage studio, where we discussed her experience, as well as recorded two of her songs. Harper not only sings, but also plays both piano and guitar. She’s already written several songs and plans to continue writing, using her experience with bullying to encourage others to follow their dreams and remember that God is bigger than YouTube.
Find more content like this in Culture Lab.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor profs honored for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 4 Ways to Say No to Multitasking and Yes to Productivity.
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Ways to Say 'No' to Multitasking and 'Yes' to Productivity.
- Lori Minutoli published the blogpost The Defining Moment Between Attraction and Sexual Sin for the Christian.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost “Guide For Parents During The First 6 Weeks Of College”.
- Laurie Geisz published the blogpost “Good Morning, God” ~ When Your Baby’s Having Surgery.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Guest Blog: Welcome to the Passive Aggressive Church.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote by Dustin Shramek on God’s sovereignty and our suffering. [Quote].
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Stevenson's Treasure by Mark Wiederanders.
- Don Sartain published the blogpost Reflections on the Old Testament, Changes, and the Middle East.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teenagers Who Smoke Marijuana Daily Are Over 60% Less Likely To Complete High School.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Crazy Ways Social Media Is Changing Your Brain Right Now.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Social Media Tracked Trends: Facebook Isn’t Dead Among Teens.
- solomon david published the blogpost 15 Best Practices of PHP Development for Beginners.
- Mary DeMuth published the blogpost 25 – 4 Truths that’ll Change the Way You View Evangelism.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Kindle Giveaway & the new Bucket List Living For Moms book.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost How You Can Be the Hero in Your Marriage – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Why Always Putting Others First is A Horrible Idea.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: How to Keep From Burning Out Way Too Soon (Episode 9).
- solomon david published the blogpost How to Convert WordPress HTTP Website to HTTPS/SSL?.
- solomon david published the blogpost The Best of the Week Android, iPhone, iPad, and Windows Phone Apps for Users.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 3 Challenge: Read to Your Kids Daily.