The Rise of the Tech-Savvy Religious
Some analysts, and even church leaders, have suggested that spiritual people are slower adopters of Internet services when compared to others in the broader culture. Although, according to a recent update to the Pew Internet and American Life project, that assumption couldn’t be more wrong.
A new report conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International found that Americans who are members of religious groups are just as likely – if not more likely — to use the Internet, have broadband at home, use cell phones and send texts. What’s even more surprising is that religious Americans are also just as active on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Not only do the 40 percent of Americans who consider themselves religious embrace digital media and technology, but they also do it whole-heartedly. The survey highlights characteristics of the tech-savvy religious compared to those who are tech savvy but do not consider themselves religiously active. Religious users of technology (in the literal sense of the phrase) are typically:
- More trusting of others
- More optimistic about their impact on community
- More community-minded
- More involved in groups
- More active in groups in which they’re involved
Think about what this report says for the church in general. Digital media isn’t an exclusive domain for iPad-bearing, skinny jeans-wearing hipsters. Pastors, church staff, volunteers and Christian organizations can hang out online with the rest of the peeps – and do it with style.
While this report may not be news to some of you, it supports our vision to create an online community to unite Christ-followers all over the world. FaithVillage.com will be a social network that allows you to take your spiritual life to the next level by forming valuable communities around articles, videos, podcasts and other content.
Team FV wants to pat you on the back and say “Bravo!” Thanks for learning, leading and loving the Lord online. We encourage you to keep engaging social media and experimenting with emerging technologies that can strengthen your positive influence on our world. Soon, you can add FaithVillage.com to your list of social networks to leverage your faith. We’re certain you’ll become an expert there too.
Originally posted January 11, 2012.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.