Footwear Festival Bears Fruit for Bare Feet
At 5 years old, Pfifer Chastain decided to give up her sixth birthday party in favor of a shoe drive to help orphans in need. She and her family threw a backyard carnival with the goal of collecting 100 pairs of shoes.
“We had everything,” said Heather Chastain, Pfifer’s mother. “A basketball toss, milk bottle throw, duck pond, balloon pop, a putt-putt golf game, a face painter, a fire engine, balloon animals, hot dogs, popcorn and drinks. People earned tickets just like a street carnival and redeemed them for prizes.”
They posted invitations around town, in the elementary schools, the Walmart shoe department and Payless ShoeSource, and invited their church’s Wednesday night children’s ministry.
“We wanted it to be as much about the shoes as it was an outreach to get the community to come together to support a Christian organization,” Chastain said.
They did come together. Payless ShoeSource offered a 10 percent discount to customers buying shoes for the carnival after hearing about Pfifer’s project. The newspaper’s editor wrote a feature story and a letter challenging the community to rally around the idea. Even the carnival clown was excited.
“He knew somebody who worked at a Stride Rite store in Shreveport,” Chastain said. “They corporately donated 100 pairs of shoes and sent them to us to process and get to Buckner.”
She said the key to planning the carnival was keeping it simple.
“All in, including the processing of the shoes and getting them ready to send to Buckner, it probably took maybe 20 to 25 hours to plan and execute. The neat thing was, really it seemed to come together pretty easily,” she said.
“We kept it really low-key and got the kids involved. They made all the carnival signs and decorations, so it had a very homemade feel to it.”
Within four hours, they had more than 200 guests in attendance and collected 336 pairs of shoes.
“To watch Pfifer line up those shoes and see it all become reality was a really important thing for her, and for our whole community,” said Emily Prevost, director of community ministries for Buckner in collaboration with First Baptist Church of Marshall.
“It went from an abstract thought about orphans needing shoes to a concrete reality that she was really able to do something about it,” Prevost said.
When it was all over, Pfifer asked her mom what an orphan was, exactly.
“I told her they were children who didn’t have mommies or daddies to live with,” Chastain said. “She told me, ‘Next year let’s forget the shoes and get them parents!’”
Shoes for Orphan Souls, the largest humanitarian aid project of Buckner International has distributed more than 2.3 million pairs of shoes to orphans and vulnerable children in 74 countries since 1999.To learn more about the importance of shoes, visit www.buckner.org/shoes.
You can be a part of this important project by hosting a shoe drive for your organization, church or small group – it’s easy and we provide all the materials you need! Visit us online or call 1-866-774-SHOE for more details.
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.