I remember hearing Switchfoot for the first time when I was seventeen years old. I was lying on the floor of a church van on the way to a mission trip and listened to them the whole way there. I was blown away by what I heard. That was fourteen years ago and I guess the fact that I still remember that shows what an impact they’ve had on me.
On September 27th, Switchfoot will release their eighth studio album Vice Verses, the follow up to their excellent Grammy-winning album Hello Hurricane. While Hello Hurricane saw the band returning to the sound that made them famous on their biggest record, The Beautiful Letdown, Vice Verses is posed to take that sound even further.
“Vice Verses is a record of tension and release. It’s an attempt to describe the polarity of the human experience. The sunlight and shadow. The highs and lows, laughter and pain, hope and fear, doubts and belief,” says lead singer/guitarist Jon Foreman. “Vice Verses is soul music – attempting to get to the heart of the human experience: Living in the tension and turning it into song.”
Exploring that tension is one of the main reasons Foreman and company have lasted so long. In the Vice Verses album opener “Afterlife,” Foreman states: “I’ve tasted fire I’m ready to come alive/I can’t just shut it up and fake that I’m alright/I’m ready now/I’m not waiting for the afterlife….I believe we start forever now.”
Check out this video of the band as they listen through their record, Vice Verses, for the first time with their producer, Neal Avron. It’s an intimate look inside what the band was thinking and feeling as they finally brought this highly-anticipated record to completion.
Much like Hello Hurricane, Vice Verses was recorded in the band’s home studio in San Diego, California. “This is the second record we’ve made in our studio space, and it’s amazing how we felt completely at home,” adds Foreman. “It allowed us to focus and take chances.”
By providing more questions than answers in their lyrics, Switchfoot have rightfully gained the reputation of being truth-seekers who would rather live in the tension than run from it. See Foreman’s latest Huffington Post piece, excerpted here:
“The art comes from the awkward ache. The knot in my stomach usually teaches me more than comfort ever could. The sculptor’s chisel carves away at the block to bring something new into being. In the same way, we hammer away at the world we’re given to bring something new into being. We re-appropriate the past and present to create the future – breath by breath.”
Switchfoot have never shied away from taking risks. See Jon Foreman’s foray into folk music with his four acoustic EP’s or the band’s killer cover of the Beastie Boy’s classic “Sabotage”.
From August 4-7, the FaithVillage team will be in Midland, Texas for the Rock The Desert festival. Switchfoot is one of the headlining acts and personally I couldn’t be more excited. If you plan on coming to Rock The Desert, don’t miss Switchfoot’s listening party for an early preview of Vice Verses at 3:00pm, Friday, August 5th in the Teen Tent. They will also be playing the Main Stage at 10:00pm that night and are certain to play some of the new cuts from Vice Verses. Also, don’t forget to stop by the FaithVillage tent and say hello and score a charge for your cell phone and a free backpack. If the early hype is any indication, Vice Verses looks to be another high point for Switchfoot in a career filled with highs. For this fan September 27th can’t come soon enough.
Originally posted on August 2, 2011
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.