I remember hearing Switchfoot for the first time when I was seventeen years old. I was lying on the floor of a church van on the way to a mission trip and listened to them the whole way there. I was blown away by what I heard. That was fourteen years ago and I guess the fact that I still remember that shows what an impact they’ve had on me.
On September 27th, Switchfoot will release their eighth studio album Vice Verses, the follow up to their excellent Grammy-winning album Hello Hurricane. While Hello Hurricane saw the band returning to the sound that made them famous on their biggest record, The Beautiful Letdown, Vice Verses is posed to take that sound even further.
“Vice Verses is a record of tension and release. It’s an attempt to describe the polarity of the human experience. The sunlight and shadow. The highs and lows, laughter and pain, hope and fear, doubts and belief,” says lead singer/guitarist Jon Foreman. “Vice Verses is soul music – attempting to get to the heart of the human experience: Living in the tension and turning it into song.”
Exploring that tension is one of the main reasons Foreman and company have lasted so long. In the Vice Verses album opener “Afterlife,” Foreman states: “I’ve tasted fire I’m ready to come alive/I can’t just shut it up and fake that I’m alright/I’m ready now/I’m not waiting for the afterlife….I believe we start forever now.”
Check out this video of the band as they listen through their record, Vice Verses, for the first time with their producer, Neal Avron. It’s an intimate look inside what the band was thinking and feeling as they finally brought this highly-anticipated record to completion.
Much like Hello Hurricane, Vice Verses was recorded in the band’s home studio in San Diego, California. “This is the second record we’ve made in our studio space, and it’s amazing how we felt completely at home,” adds Foreman. “It allowed us to focus and take chances.”
By providing more questions than answers in their lyrics, Switchfoot have rightfully gained the reputation of being truth-seekers who would rather live in the tension than run from it. See Foreman’s latest Huffington Post piece, excerpted here:
“The art comes from the awkward ache. The knot in my stomach usually teaches me more than comfort ever could. The sculptor’s chisel carves away at the block to bring something new into being. In the same way, we hammer away at the world we’re given to bring something new into being. We re-appropriate the past and present to create the future – breath by breath.”
Switchfoot have never shied away from taking risks. See Jon Foreman’s foray into folk music with his four acoustic EP’s or the band’s killer cover of the Beastie Boy’s classic “Sabotage”.
From August 4-7, the FaithVillage team will be in Midland, Texas for the Rock The Desert festival. Switchfoot is one of the headlining acts and personally I couldn’t be more excited. If you plan on coming to Rock The Desert, don’t miss Switchfoot’s listening party for an early preview of Vice Verses at 3:00pm, Friday, August 5th in the Teen Tent. They will also be playing the Main Stage at 10:00pm that night and are certain to play some of the new cuts from Vice Verses. Also, don’t forget to stop by the FaithVillage tent and say hello and score a charge for your cell phone and a free backpack. If the early hype is any indication, Vice Verses looks to be another high point for Switchfoot in a career filled with highs. For this fan September 27th can’t come soon enough.
Originally posted on August 2, 2011
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.