How to Pray In Silence: 7 Steps to Effective Scripture Reflection
Reading the Bible is one thing; it’s quite another to let it take deep and strong root in our hearts and allow it to shape our lives. In this second post in the “How to Pray in Silence” series, we look at a method of reflecting on what we read so that the reading does not end with . . . well . . . just reading!
Just about any method of Christian prayer incorporates the scriptures in some manner – for it is God’s Word that teaches, corrects, consoles and helps us to grow in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16). So here are some steps to effective reflection while we read:
- Like the Psalmist, start with this type of a prayer: “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.” – Psalm 143:8.
- Choose a short passage to read – starting with the Gospels is a great idea, especially one of the many parables. Use a contemporary translation like the NRSV, NAB, NIV etc.
- Read it multiple times very slowly, till every word is familiar. Every time it is read, chances are we will notice something that we missed earlier.
- Now start asking these questions:
• What do these verses reveal about God?
• Is there a commandment here that I should obey?
• Is there a lesson for me to learn in these verses?
• Is this passage posing a challenge for me?
• Does this passage reveal a sin that I am struggling with?
- Not all passages will have an answer to every question. But when the Holy Spirit reveals an answer to any question(s), note it down in a personal prayer journal along with the passage reference.
- Now offer a prayer of thanksgiving and make a resolution if required (e.g. to fight a particular sin or obey a command, etc.) and write it down too.
- If possible, spend some time later in the day to go through the entry in the prayer journal as a recap, maybe even at night before going to sleep.
That’s it! Now this is obviously only one of the many different ways of pondering the scriptures, but it’s a useful method to start with and will lead to some amazing insights into God’s Word.
If you want to be updated when the next article in this series is published, please take a few seconds to subscribe by email using this link.
What is your favorite method of reading and reflecting on the scriptures?
Gangai Victor is a Jesus lover, worship buff, Internet enthusiast, social media aficionado, and author of proWORSHiP.in, the most unknown award-winning Christian blog!
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: an explanation from the crazy crying lady at the park.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: when the hands and feet of God stink and hurt, respectively.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: "christian" - better as a noun, not an adjective.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….