How to Pray In Silence: 7 Steps to Effective Scripture Reflection
Reading the Bible is one thing; it’s quite another to let it take deep and strong root in our hearts and allow it to shape our lives. In this second post in the “How to Pray in Silence” series, we look at a method of reflecting on what we read so that the reading does not end with . . . well . . . just reading!
Just about any method of Christian prayer incorporates the scriptures in some manner – for it is God’s Word that teaches, corrects, consoles and helps us to grow in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16). So here are some steps to effective reflection while we read:
- Like the Psalmist, start with this type of a prayer: “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.” – Psalm 143:8.
- Choose a short passage to read – starting with the Gospels is a great idea, especially one of the many parables. Use a contemporary translation like the NRSV, NAB, NIV etc.
- Read it multiple times very slowly, till every word is familiar. Every time it is read, chances are we will notice something that we missed earlier.
- Now start asking these questions:
• What do these verses reveal about God?
• Is there a commandment here that I should obey?
• Is there a lesson for me to learn in these verses?
• Is this passage posing a challenge for me?
• Does this passage reveal a sin that I am struggling with?
- Not all passages will have an answer to every question. But when the Holy Spirit reveals an answer to any question(s), note it down in a personal prayer journal along with the passage reference.
- Now offer a prayer of thanksgiving and make a resolution if required (e.g. to fight a particular sin or obey a command, etc.) and write it down too.
- If possible, spend some time later in the day to go through the entry in the prayer journal as a recap, maybe even at night before going to sleep.
That’s it! Now this is obviously only one of the many different ways of pondering the scriptures, but it’s a useful method to start with and will lead to some amazing insights into God’s Word.
If you want to be updated when the next article in this series is published, please take a few seconds to subscribe by email using this link.
What is your favorite method of reading and reflecting on the scriptures?
Gangai Victor is a Jesus lover, worship buff, Internet enthusiast, social media aficionado, and author of proWORSHiP.in, the most unknown award-winning Christian blog!
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.