Stories from the Mission Field: Dominican Republic: Seeing Things with New Eyes
See how God used our Project GO! volunteers last summer as they served in Peru, Guatemala, Kenya, Honduras, Russia, Dominican Republic, Mexico and the U.S./Mexico border.
My time thus far in the Dominican Republic has been a whirlwind! The country, people, and kids are beautiful. I am in love.
I have gotten the opportunity to teach English to these sweet children in the Community Transformation Center. When we were driving in for the first time to teach, I saw dilapidated buildings and poverty all around. It honestly did not phase me much. I have been to other countries. I have seen poverty. So I went on with my business of teaching English.
During the first few days, we decided to walk around the community with a few of the children. They were so excited to take us to their houses. As we walked, the poverty around us began to sink in.
We came to E’s house. She was so proud to have us there, and her family invited us in. The four of us barely fit in the living room area. Curtains made up the makeshift walls, and the materials their house was built from were anything but sturdy. They were so welcoming, but we only stayed for a few minutes.
Experiencing poverty like I saw that day puts things into perspective. I knew poverty existed in the community, but before I ever saw the poverty, I saw the children. I have been teaching them for two days, and they come dressed fairly nice. They are so happy and eager to learn, so I wasn’t expecting what I saw.
It broke my heart to see where these children live. But despite the poverty, these children have such pure hearts full of joy to learn and experience life. Their outlook is much different than yours and mine. It has encouraged me to look at things in a new light.
Laren Lewis was a Project GO! volunteer in the Dominican Republic during summer 2011.
College students and recent grads -- It's not too late to apply for Project GO! and serve overseas in June, July, or for the entire summer! The second round of applications are due by April 9th. Learn more here.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor profs honored for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 4 Ways to Say No to Multitasking and Yes to Productivity.
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Ways to Say 'No' to Multitasking and 'Yes' to Productivity.