We Should Love Our Body Green
It was a breakfast appointment with an unexpected blessing. A green blessing!
My husband James and I were at a business breakfast a few weeks ago with a group of realtors–my husband is a realtor–in fact, he sold Renee and Marc their house! Across from me, there was a fit, thin, and very energetic realtor wife.
She happened to be a fitness instructor and as we begin to chat, her enthusiasm for the color green came out!
“In the morning, I take a cup of spinach, a cup of kale, and a cup of collard greens, mix that up with a few grapes for flavor. I drink my green smoothie every morning and I KNOW I’ve had my good veggies for the day. I have so much energy all day long!”
And boy, did she ever!
She was full of energy that morning, talking a mile a minute, with her eyes dancing, and I have a feeling she’s like that ALL. DAY. LONG.
Well, my husband James and I are pretty healthy eaters in comparison to the average American. But these days, that’s not saying a whole lot.
If we were to compare ourselves to Mrs. Green, we would be pathetic little posers!
We have put a little green in our smoothies before–a piece of broccoli to be exact. When you put broccoli in a smoothie, it puts little green dots in the smoothie. If your kids buy that it’s confetti, it works pretty well. Otherwise the little green dots blow your cover.
After talking to our energetic new friend, James and I decided that we should love our body green.
The next day I bought a big bag of spinach from Costco. It’s really inexpensive but we’ve never bought it because who can finish that big bag before it goes bad? James put a few cups of spinach in our smoothie the next morning. Unlike Mrs. Green, we use a lot of fruit to mask, I mean enhance the taste. We use a few grapes PLUS an orange, a banana, and maybe a few strawberries.
We have three kids, ages 2, 5 and 8. The first time they saw the green smoothie, they freaked out.
“That looks gross,” the older kids said.
“Gross,” echoed copycat 2-year-old Lucy.
But they had to drink it up to the last drop and after trying it, they realized it tasted a whole lot better than it looked.
So I’m happy to report that today the green smoothie has become a staple in our household!
Every year, when I see the kids’ pediatrician, I always have the same action step: eat more vegetables.
Now I’m doing a bit better in this arena.
At least we are drinking more vegetables.
After drinking my green smoothie, I do have more energy and feel more satisfied in the morning.
Isn’t it neat how you can meet someone, have a God ordained conversation, and experience life change as a result? Thank you Mrs. Green for being such an enthusiastic health nut at breakfast. Because she actually got James and me to change our behavior and get some more green in our diet.
That not only helps us; it helps our kids.
When you take steps to get more green in your diet, it doesn’t only help you. It helps the loved ones around you to eat healthier too.
Green is a beautiful color. What are you going to have that’s green today? (Sorry, mint chip ice cream doesn’t count.)
- Kelley Mathews published the article What Not To Do When You Are Living 'In the Meantime'.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Looking Back, Facing Forward: 20 Soundtracks Jars of Clay’s 20-Year Celebration.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Stuffed French Toast with Bourbon Glazed Pineapples.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Critical Heart Changes For Successful Reconciliation.
- Kimber Yeargan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.