We Should Love Our Body Green
It was a breakfast appointment with an unexpected blessing. A green blessing!
My husband James and I were at a business breakfast a few weeks ago with a group of realtors–my husband is a realtor–in fact, he sold Renee and Marc their house! Across from me, there was a fit, thin, and very energetic realtor wife.
She happened to be a fitness instructor and as we begin to chat, her enthusiasm for the color green came out!
“In the morning, I take a cup of spinach, a cup of kale, and a cup of collard greens, mix that up with a few grapes for flavor. I drink my green smoothie every morning and I KNOW I’ve had my good veggies for the day. I have so much energy all day long!”
And boy, did she ever!
She was full of energy that morning, talking a mile a minute, with her eyes dancing, and I have a feeling she’s like that ALL. DAY. LONG.
Well, my husband James and I are pretty healthy eaters in comparison to the average American. But these days, that’s not saying a whole lot.
If we were to compare ourselves to Mrs. Green, we would be pathetic little posers!
We have put a little green in our smoothies before–a piece of broccoli to be exact. When you put broccoli in a smoothie, it puts little green dots in the smoothie. If your kids buy that it’s confetti, it works pretty well. Otherwise the little green dots blow your cover.
After talking to our energetic new friend, James and I decided that we should love our body green.
The next day I bought a big bag of spinach from Costco. It’s really inexpensive but we’ve never bought it because who can finish that big bag before it goes bad? James put a few cups of spinach in our smoothie the next morning. Unlike Mrs. Green, we use a lot of fruit to mask, I mean enhance the taste. We use a few grapes PLUS an orange, a banana, and maybe a few strawberries.
We have three kids, ages 2, 5 and 8. The first time they saw the green smoothie, they freaked out.
“That looks gross,” the older kids said.
“Gross,” echoed copycat 2-year-old Lucy.
But they had to drink it up to the last drop and after trying it, they realized it tasted a whole lot better than it looked.
So I’m happy to report that today the green smoothie has become a staple in our household!
Every year, when I see the kids’ pediatrician, I always have the same action step: eat more vegetables.
Now I’m doing a bit better in this arena.
At least we are drinking more vegetables.
After drinking my green smoothie, I do have more energy and feel more satisfied in the morning.
Isn’t it neat how you can meet someone, have a God ordained conversation, and experience life change as a result? Thank you Mrs. Green for being such an enthusiastic health nut at breakfast. Because she actually got James and me to change our behavior and get some more green in our diet.
That not only helps us; it helps our kids.
When you take steps to get more green in your diet, it doesn’t only help you. It helps the loved ones around you to eat healthier too.
Green is a beautiful color. What are you going to have that’s green today? (Sorry, mint chip ice cream doesn’t count.)
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.