Famine to Feast
How do you let go of someone in your life after a break-up? I don’t feel like I have anyone I can talk to about this! What do I even begin to do? It’s not healthy NOR is it beneficial. I have to figure out how to let this relationship go… even if that means losing the friendship. How do I let go of the past and embrace the present? –G
Yesterday I shared a question right from the pages of my own journal. I know several women who are experiencing this kind of heartache right now, so I wanted to devote some time to the topic. Whether or not you have experienced the ache that comes with a break-up, I know that we have all experienced the hurt that comes when any relationship changes. Coming to the realization that relationships are seasonal can be one of the most painful and freeing experiences of this life.
My friend Jon was quick to comment on the post in the early hours of Monday morning. His wisdom for healing after heartache was pointed and encouraging. Here’s what he shared:
Get grouped. Find community.
Get to giving. Don't focus inwardly.
Get to God. Dive into the Word.
Grieve. Let the process happen. Let. Get out of the way. Don't force it, don't avoid it.
Good stuff, right? Each of those areas of growth are so important when we are struggling to let go. And yet, in the depths of our pain and tears they might seem too… well, too easy for such deep heartache. But don’t disregard them just because of the alliteration. There is truth to each of those points.
GET TO GOD. DIVE INTO THE WORD.
In my most recent heartache, studying God’s Word was what got me through each moment of the day. I was literally reading scripture in between each and every work assignment. I explored the prayers and praise of King David by reading through the Psalms. I found that he expressed so many of the emotions and fears that I was feeling.
I committed Psalm 33:18-22 to memory… covering my computer, hands, and even car dashboard with this hope:
“But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine. We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.” Psalm 33:18-20
TURNING A CORNER
My heartache turned a corner right around the time I reached Psalm 33. I discovered that God was speaking in my mess and pulling me closer toward Him.
Perhaps you find yourself feeling loss at this time. Friendships have dwindled, dating relationships haven’t gone as you expected. Will you trust Him to see you through this famine? He has the power to sustain us even when it feels like the world has turned upside down.
May I encourage you to place your name in the passage? Try something like this:
“But the eyes of the LORD are on Ginger who fears him, on Ginger whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliverher from death and keep her alive in famine. She waits in hope for the LORD; he is her help and her shield. In him her heart rejoices, for she trusts in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon me, O LORD, even as I put my hope in you.” Psalm 33:18-20
As much as I want to control who enters and exits my inner circle of friendships and relationships, I just can’t. I’m so thankful for a God who has placed unexpected personalities in my path to shape and mold me. I’m even more thankful for the rejection (yes, thankful for rejection) that has forced me to cling to my Father and trust His timing and provision. When you feel at a loss, open up God’s Word and speak truth out loud to your crushed spirit.
“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
Praying for a Psalm 33 moment in all our lives this week…
This post was originally published at www.gingerciminello.com.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.